1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I was the chairman of Gibson...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by A. D. Fairhurst, Feb 4, 2016.

1. This needs to happen!

12 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. Very good ideas!

11 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I like the thought of it

26 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. OK

7 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Meeeeh...

25 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. No. Just...no

28 vote(s)
    17.7%
  7. You are the most retarded human alive

18 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Carrots

31 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. This covers basses. Guitars would probably get a similar treatment.

There would be five series of basses:
    The Standard Series. This would contain the SG Bass, ES-335 Bass, Thunderbird IV, Les Paul Bass (Modern Version), Midtown, modern non-reverse Thunderbird IV, and the modern EB IV and V. This would be pretty much Gibson's modern line except with better QC. Price range: Normal
    gibson-thunderbird.

The Classic Series. This would bring back classic Gibson basses, updated to modern specs. It would contain the L-9S Ripper (in both the chunky and slimmer stylings), the G3 (with both clear or black pups), the Grabber, the Flying V and Explorer basses, the Victory Standard, Artist and Custom, RD Artist and Standard, EB-2, EB-0, EB-3 and, because why the hell not, the 20/20 and EB-6. Price range: Normal
    330276245694-1.

The Vintage Series. This would be exact replicas of classic Gibson basses, made the original way and with no changes whatsoever, plus the option for some slight relic-ing. It would contain both styles of L-9S Ripper, clear and black pickup G3s, Grabber, non-reverse Thunderbird II and IV, original style Thunderbird II and IV, all three Victorys, Les Paul Triumph, and RD Artist and Standard. Price range: A bit higher
    65thunderbirds.

The Heritage Series. This would be some quite relic-ed models with exact original specs to exactly simulate a road-worn bass. The finishes would (optionally) be quite aged and worn, and the wood baked to simulate years of age. It would contain the black bake-lite neck pickup versions of the EB-0, 2, and 3, the chunky-style Ripper, the Grabber, both pickup styles of G3, RD Artist and Standard, LP Triumph, non-reverse Thunderbird II and IV, original style T-bird II and IV, EB-0F and the Les Paul Jr-shaped EB-0. Price range: A fair bit higher
    1960-Gibson-EB3.

The Re-Imagined Series. This would be classic basses but with all sorts of modern finishes, electronics, and all kinds of stuff. One example: 1974 chunkier style Ripper...but with active preamp and pickups (which are masked to look exactly like the originals) and a cobalt blue finish. How cool would that be?!
    question-mark.

Anyway, that's what I would do. What do you think of my ideas? Also, try and make some more basses for the re-imagined series.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    rtslinger, Tbone76, spaz21387 and 5 others like this.
  2. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    This seems like it would be a market share grab that would dramatically increase Gibson's available basses and would therefore require significant investment (and consequent risk). I wouldn't suggest they undertake it unless the have good reason to believe the market is demanding many more Gibson basses than they are currently producing.

As for guitars, they seem to be doing fine despite last year's debacle. If it ain't broke...

Ductapeman, hover, Ikkir and 7 others like this.
  3. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    If I was the Chairman of Gibson, I'd resign immediately and take the golden parachute. Then maybe I'd raise vegetables and rabbits, and make nothing but comical short-scale basses.

4. Now with pictures!

5. Perhaps in a few years. They have ceased production of basses now, though.

6. No to factory relics! The worst thing to happen in the modern era of manufacture.

Staredge, Ductapeman, D.M.N. and 21 others like this.
  7. Why's that?

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

No relicing. Please? I'll be good!

spaz21387, hover, Oldschool94 and 2 others like this.
  9. As you wish.

10. It's like buying a new car with door dings at best and with crushed panels at worst. It just doesn't make sense to me.

SteveCS, Klondike, hover and 7 others like this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    as a bassist, i love the concept. i expect it would kill off gibson....and then you'd be out of a job!

12. Why would it kill of Gibson?

13. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    A truly road-worn item.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Really?

Lately I've felt the odd man out on that.

It'd be ok to offer it as an option since there are those that do like it.

Klondike and A. D. Fairhurst like this.
  15. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    I don't think it would necessarily kill Gibson, but it would probably lose them a lot of money.

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    So you want issue, re-issue, relic, and update every model Gibson has ever manufactured? Um, no.

17. How?

18. Off-Beat

Off-Beat

Dec 8, 2014
    Vienna, AUT
    You basically would copy fender with that. Sounds cool, but is too drastic and obvious. The fender horde™ would never leave their brand for a faux fender business modell by their biggest rival(generally speaking - not just basses) anyways and the remaining market share is too widespread.

JiJ likes this.
  19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    it would take a huge capital investment, and very few sales would result.

20. It worked pretty well for Fender.

BAG likes this.