1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If I XLR from my Sansamp will it cancel out the EQ from my amp?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gotshun, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Gotshun

Gotshun

Jun 27, 2016
    So I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to live sound.

I'm running a Sansamp Programmable Bass Driver DI into the input of a Fender Rumble 500 which uses both preamps together for a combined tone which I love. However both the Sansamp and the Fender have an XLR output to run to FOH and I'm not sure which one to use. If I run it out from the Sansamp will it give me 100% Sansamp tone or will it still use both the Sansamp and my amp's EQ together?

Sorry if this is a no-brainer, I'm still learning. Thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you DI from the SansAmp and it is before the amp then the board (sound board, mixing board, front of house PA) will only get the SansAmp. If you run from the amp XLR you will send the combined signal to the board.

Here's the thing to be careful of. Your favorite bedroom tone might sound like garbage in a mix through a PA. The physics of solo bass in a small room from a small amp and bass in a mix in a large room through a PA have very little in common.

So ask your sound guy which works best. Try it both ways if you have time.

3. Gotshun

Gotshun

Jun 27, 2016
    Gotcha! Thanks very much for the reply, I'll try both if I can and I definitely don't expect my tone to be right on the money the first time in the mix.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it would be worthwhile to experiment with using the sansamp as it's really intended; run the 1/4" out (set to "boost", i.e., line level) into the effects return of the rumble head, so you're just using the sansamp's pre. run the sansamp XLR to the PA, set to "pad", i.e. mic level.

often the "simpler" preamp path results in a sound that sits better in the mix, rather than one preamp and EQ fed into another preamp and EQ that might be "fighting" the first one.

Gotshun likes this.
  5. Gotshun

Gotshun

Jun 27, 2016
    That's how I've been using my Sansamp originally, I just felt bad reducing my amp head to a power amp. It also makes me feel like I wasted money buying the head when I'm only using the SA preamp. (Though I'm probably "dumbing it down" and the amp is important in tandem with the whole rig)

At any rate if it's easier for the sound guy then I'm definitely on board with anything.

Thank you for the reply!

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Don’t, that might be the most “pro” way to use it!

There’s been a lot of discussion around here about the idea of a mini-head that was just a power amp, how useful that would be but that nobody makes one. The upshot being even though it would be less expensive to make they’d sell way fewer of them so it would end up costing more.

Nothing wrong with thinking of your rumble head as a 500w power amp that just happens to have some extra unused knobs on the front :)

Gotshun likes this.
  7. Gotshun

Gotshun

Jun 27, 2016
    That definitely makes me feel better, I'll switch it back to the effects return. Thanks again!

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    or at the very least honestly compare the two methods, preferably with the full band.

maybe the sound running through the rumble preamp ends up being the one you like better, but bypassing it is a very valid method.

the other advantage to building your tone around the bypassed setup is that you can then do so with just about any bass rig and get something close to "your sound", perfect for backline gigs where you don't know what you're gonna get.

AlexBassMP likes this.
  9. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Correct, the signal hasn't reached your amp yet if you use the XLR on the SansAmp, you can always use the XLR on the Rumble instead.

Keep in mind though, that the sound you're hearing from the Rumble is also colored by the cab itself, so that signal that the FOH is getting via the amp's DI will still be a bit different.