1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If it meant keeping your home...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deepdown, Sep 27, 2008.

1. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    This subject just came up today while talking to a dear old friend of mine who is about to sell everything he owns to save his home.
    If you had to sell all your gear to keep your home, which one of your basses would you hold on to, and which amplifier?
    Starting from scratch, sort of speak.

Myself, I would keep my 1997 G&L SB-1 and my SVT 8x10 with the Nemesis 650 head, my Boss ME-50 pedal and my monster cables.:(

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    If I had to sell all my gear, I wouldn't have anything left to hold on to. Can't do both.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Who says anyone will be able to buy, if it comes to that?

4. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    If we are talking about getting to that point (and I've been damned close to it) I would sell everything. No material items are worth the loss of a home that is security and shelter for your family.

I could (and have) lived without instruments, television, computer or stereo and have at times sold all of my records and CDs, film collection, books, etc. I kept my car because it was paid for (I've never owned a car I had to make payments on, and never plan to) and I lived in a town with cruddy public transportation so I needed the car to get to work.

Had it become necessary, I woulda sold the car and ridden a bike 8.5 miles to and from work.

If it's not that dire, I would keep the single bass and amp that would bring the LEAST amount of money in and sell the rest.

It's amazing how little we really "need" in this life....

And it's a great thing, under certain circimstances, to discover what is truly precious and irreplaceable...

If my house was on fire and my family was out safe, it sure as hell wouldn't be a bass I went in to try and save...it would be things I could never get back...old letters, photographs, artwork made by friends and family, etc.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    :eek:BLASPEMY!!!:eek:

(i kid, i kid)

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707

amen brah

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm almost at this point myself. Been out of work for a while, and so has my fiance, and our second mortgage is already gone. I think if I got to keep one bass it would be my Valenti, but OTOH if it came down to it I could always have him (or somebody) make me another like it down the road. I'm already selling off other gear, but I suppose eventually I may take a hard look at those basses.

8. My basses and guitars are part of my income, because I play and make money. Sell my gear and I lose income.

OTOH, It's sad when you hear story's like the one you've mentioned, but it's a reality that we are all at risk to some extent or the other.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Selling gear is not that big of a deal, IMO. Of course, it hurts, but gear is not music. If I had too, I would sell a $2,000 bass and get something like a Squier Jazz Deluxe V in heartbeat if I needed to for the sake of my home. We are blessed today to have access to cheap gear that is also quality.:)

10. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    Duly noted. With all due respect Dr.,I would think if it got that terribly horrible, we might as well eat our paper money, for it wouldn't be worth squash.

11. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    Thanks for pointing that out, my bad.
    to rephrase: If you could only keep one bass and one amp...

12. I've never been so attached to my gear over the years that I wouldn't sell it if need be. It would give me the ability to help get through a crisis and on the other side I would begin a new gear era. This would be particularly enjoyable as I feel with my experience and gear knowledge I could make some great and efficient choices. (before the GAS crisis returns :D).
    If I were to keep 1 bass and 1 amp it would be the Stingray 5 and the WT400 heat with 210XLT cab. I think the rest of my gear would bring in more value and/or be easier to move.
    Of course let's hope and try our hardest for it not to come to that.

13. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    I am with you. Collective positive healing thoughts and actions.

14. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    I truly wish that your situation will only get better. Stay strong, don't lose faith, you will endure this, you know you will.

15. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    Absolutely.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I would keep my fretless Jazz, it's been refinished and has had all sorts of other mods, ergo - it's the bass I've put the most into and at the same time has the least resale value.

17. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    There is only one instrument I will never part with, and that is my first bass, a MIJ Fretless Jazz Bass (no fretlines), and for better or worse, because of it's value, I will never have to be in the position to chose between it or my house. It simply isn't worth enough (to someone else) to allow me to keep my house if I sold it.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Exactly. Hate to ask this but does anybody have any cash nowadays?

Riis

19. old SR-5 and Yorkville combo.

20. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    the only bass I currently have ...

My bongo 4HH , I have only one amp as well... neoX head and genz 210 neo cab .Selling them would be pointless as I would have nothing to play or be heard.

Selling gear only means buying more later , that costs money. If you are selling it because you bought it on credit and plan to pay that debt off , OK....If you own it outright ... I would keep it or at least most of it.

I just came out of financial dire straits . It sucked a** big time. My wife made me keep my gear as I was ready to sell it and buy some crap to use. I am glad I listened to her. I have suffered hard times in my past as well , always came out of it.

If one is in that bad of shape financially... selling a few thousand dollars of gear may only be a band aide on an amputation.

I have only one real credit debt . My mortgage. It sucks at times as I have to save cash to buy anything but in the end I own everything I have and owe no one. I also have learned to stick 10% of my pay in a seperate bank account and forget about it . That is what saved my a** these past two months. It pretty much was drained but I have already started putting it back in.