If Jaco debuted today...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guss, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Do you guys think that if Jaco released the exact same album that he did in 76(I think) today, would it be as much as a hit as it was 28 years ago? Sure it has great music, but it was recognized in a time when that music was a significantly more accepted than today. Jazz is not the same as it was. The music on that album is spectacular no doubt. However I wonder if it would have been viewed the same if released in the present day?
  2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It would probably be independent or MP3 , I can't imagine a jazz label touching the thing unless they could get Kenny G to dub some sax parts or maybe find a good drum machine programer! The smooth crap that is on Jazz radio today has the creativity of a kareouke machine, maybe they could get snopp dog to rap over the thing or something. I'm sure some producer in hip-hop could sample some of it and maybe give him some credit. Jaco had the fundamental flaw that precludes you from makeing it in the music bussiness today, He was creative!!! He also had talent! Two points against, He'd look good in a video though!! SAD BUT TRUE I grew up in far different times, and I'm sorry to say, with far better for music.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    What? :eyebrow:

Tons of great artists (Rock, Metal, Jazz, Funk, etc) consistently put out great albums that showcase talent and creativity. This happens on major labels as well as smaller labels.

The only thing different about "your times" is that great music got regular airplay. If you search for it you will find the quality of "real music" (not mindless pop songs; which by the way were in around "your times of far better music" as well) hasn't changed all that much. :D
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    There's no way to answer this question, Jaco's influence on the bass playing world, and the jazz world (to a lesser, but still significant extent), was immense. If you removed that influence, it's hard to say where music, jazz or otherwise would be today. It'd be impossible what the music world would be like nowadays without his influence.

Maybe the electric bass would have been forgotten about in this parallel universe, abandoned for the vibraphone or didgeridoo (sp?) because people may have seen the bass as obsolete. In which case his album would have an immense, world-shaking impact.

Maybe people would be playing ONLY the electric bass, because the guitar's potential had been exhausted and the possibility of bass as a lead instrument had not been explored. And so, people all over the world would be experimenting with the bass as a lead instrument, in which case his album would be just a drop in a bucket.
  5. Well I gotta agree that in 70s the aired music was far better. The "commercial" music today is rubbish, the way I see it, but then to each its own.

I mean today if you want to find some good music, you either have to:
    a) already know about it and look for it actively, which renders the possibility of hearing new musicians of quality
    b) be lucky that good musicians are featured in your favorite club/on your station/that some friend knows about it.

If you have a daytime job like I do, and can basically turn on radio and thats it, you miss out on great deal and have to live with B. Spears crap over and over again.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I would hope he would remove/edit out those '70s-sounding strings on "Kuru".
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well no - the bar has been raised - considerably since 1976!

So - Jazz bass players do release solo albums all the time - like Christian McBride as a good example - who included Jaco tributes in his albums!

But if you look at his albums - then I think Jaco might be viewed like those..

Of course the reason there was such a fuss about Jaco was that he was among the very first to do this kind of thing and there was no template - he was inventing the Jazz, bass guitarist, solo album - and it'll never be the same for anyone else as they have dozens of role models to look at and templates to follow...
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Then people probably wouldn't be as blown away?

9. I always wonder how Jaco would have manipulated a fretted bass. If only he would have played both fretless AND fretted so we could hear how he would approach both. I bet he would have sounded stellar. For whatever reason he decided to just stick primarily with fretless, even though he had a huge "rock and roll" side to his creativity. Woulda been interesting.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Jaco did play fretted bass a lot and usually carried one on tour with him - he used fretted bass on a lot of his most famous tracks like Come on Come Over and Birdland - to name just a couple!
  11. Oh okay...in the words of the late Johnny Carson..."I did not know that."
  12. Bruce Lindfield

13. Great interview Bruce...

"I mean, I wouldn't want to be a bass player and have to listen to me right now, because the stuff is really starting to happen, and it must be scary. And it has nothing to do with ego or being better or this or that. It's just that I know what it is, too. "

:bassist: damn straight Jaco! :bassist:
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    ABARK, I beg to differ, There is good stuff out there for sure and plenty of players with exceptional "chops" (but noboddy heard of most of them) The radio play list now are about 10 songs! There are two big differences in eras #1) In the 70's the mediocre bands could play!, I've gone back and listened too bands I wasn't that into growing up and discovered that by todays standreds they would be instrumental superstars, every band had gutiar players that could solo, for #*&# sake even Elton Johns band had a great bass player. Bands that were considered pop back then, Three Dog Night, Grand Funk, Humble Pie, Doobie Brothers had players and most "serious" guys wern't even into them! And We had GREAT POP GROUPS, like Earth Wind and Fire, Steely Dan for example. #2) It's About the song: many of todays great players are not great writers, Sure Billy Sheehan is a Monster as is Victor Wooten but I challenge you to come up with two great melodys from either one of them. Jaco is in the Real Book, I doubt Victor will show up in there soon (I am talking nothing away from his playing ability which I totally am in awe of) There are very few great writers who play anymore, I'm not saying they don't exist, there just much harder to find.
  15. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There are composers & then there are players...most times not in the same body.

Recently, a drummer friend was playing me "People Make The World Go Round"(The Stylistics)...he remarked that he's not hearing that kinda tune on the current charts.
    If you're familiar with that particular track, it definitely sounds COMPOSED.
    Big difference between that & writing a funkified groove with a half-assed head.

...just one man's opinion.
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't know who is more "Jaco-obsessed"...

Brad or Bruce.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    First, I dislike both Wooten and Sheehan so I wouldn't know where to start with compelling melodies from them. Second, Talas was around in the seventies so technically it is part of "your times." Third, stop listening to the radio if you want consistently good music. :D

I will list some original modern bands who could hang with/smoke damn near anyone in the classic form of the same/similar genre. Tons of modern git players solo and solo well, but don't listen for an examples of their playing on the Modern Angsty Rock Radio stations.

Opeth - metal
    Brotherhood of Groove, Particle - Funk/Groove
    Clutch - Rock and Roll
    Sade's band - R&B
    Lord Only - Prog
    Medeski, Martin, Wood - Groovey Jazz (I think)
    Jacob Fred Jazz Oddessey - experimental Jazz

Mindless showcasing chops doesn't equal good music; ever. I could wank up and down the fretboard mixing three finger plucking, harmonics, tapping, slapping, and chords and I would only impress a total novice; even a half-assed musician can see through that crap. Style, Tone, and moderation are things I enjoy from my favorite players.

You do realize that every musical evolution is always looked down upon by those who came after. After Nirvana came out hair metal was passe' (sp). Whatever comes out after these two-bit, nu-metalish Nirvana ripoffs will scorn the "Late 90's sound". My guess would be a low fi, artsy type sound; ala Franz Ferdinand.

You don't listen to the right new music if you think modern music is a decline from older classics. Hint: It won't be on the radio and you will have to search for it; just like before the classic, "great" bands were popular.

Simple as that.
  18. May be able to see past it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound good. And I have to think that the majority of bass players out there can't do the "wank up and down the fretboard mixing three finger plucking, harmonics, tapping, slapping, and chords" type playing.

I enjoy hearing a bass player that knows how to throw in some complication at appropriate times. Heck, I'd like to get better at it!
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Have we dug this hole deep enough yet?

Against Will pretty much said it all, you can't really say because Jaco's influence is everywhere...as is that of Hendrix, the Beatles, Coltrane, Chuck Berry, Charlie Parker, etc. If you take ANY pioneer's music you can only gauge their impact by comparing the music that preceded them to that which followed. Sure, by today's standards the first Jaco album might seem old hat...but that's only by today's standards!!!
  20. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, but...
    My complaint(& others that think along the same lines) is this-
    The "older classics" were on the radio during their day in the Sun.
    There was no Internet, etc back then so diggin' for the Underground stuff was as simple as flipping the parent's AM station of choice over to(gasp) FM.
    (How many times did I get balled out for switching the car's radio?)

That is what we're lamenting about today...in 'our day', I could hear Santana, The Doors, Sly & The Family Stone, Motown, etc on POP radio.
    Even early MTV was cutting edge enough to help 'break' bands like Missing Persons, Living Colour, The Police, Duran Duran, etc.
    Geez, everyone knows(or should know) they need to be proactive to find the decent stuff out there in today's world.