If Jaco was still alive, what bass would he be playing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Jan 15, 2006.

1. His beat up Fender? Would he be using a Sadowsky? Or maybe a Roscoe?
  2. He would be using drugs.
    I don't know, he probably would come up with some new kind of bass. And maybe not fretless or fretted, but something different, i dont know :)
  3. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005

Are you suggesting he'd try a Whamola?:D

he'd prolly still be playing his Fender
  4. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I agree. He said in an interview that he'd tried other basses, but since his Jazz was so familiar, that's what he always played live.
  5. Someone might give him his own sig model line. ;)

Seriously, who knows. Maybe the Bass of Doom. Maybe he'd have pawned it by now. Maybe he'd have retired from playing bass. Maybe he'd be playing a 12 string Adler. Maybe he'd discover sousaphone. Maybe he'd have liked Michael Manring's style, and adopted a four-octave Zon with quadraphonic pickups. Maybe he'd be using a ramp. Maybe he'd have gotten tired of being identified as a fretless icon and have taken up slap funk for the challenge and variety.

It's always hard to speculate, because Jaco alive today would also have lived through all those years of bass evolution and development, both the instrument and playing style. Who knows!
  6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    yep, just like sting, stanley or Les, he'd prolly still be appearing with the old beat up Jazz, God knows what happened to that instrument:meh:

Or we can always dream that he would eventually hook up with cats like anthony jackson and Bill Dickens and would be playing a 10 string fretless Conklin in vintage sunburst finish :smug:
  7. mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    johnson baltimore defreted...

i agree with ripper.
    he would sure get a lot of money from fender for playing their basses
  8. He would be playing his ooold Fender Jazz. Period.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

10. Conklin 9 string :eek:
  11. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    i don't think jaco knew or would know how to play anything but a Fender J. It was just "him".
  12. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Spokesman for Wishbass, fretless of course.

Seriously, that Jazz was his trademark, unless someone stole it, or it got beyond repair, I think he'd still have it.
    Wheather he'd still be playing or not w/ his illness is another story. I'm talking about his real illness, not drugs.
  13. Even if it was in some way not playable anymore, he'd probably just buy a new jazz bass and start beating the crap out of it again.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

He'd have trancended past bass.

There'd be a message board out there where people would be discussing his oboe chops in detail and people would daydream about finding the oboe he'd left in the park.
  15. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    He'd still be playing his old beat-up Fender, unless it fell apart, in which case he'd get a new Fender and beat it up. Maybe he'd help Fender invent the relic series a decade or to earlier...
  16. The Jazz bass ofcourse..

And he didn't 'beat up' his basses, he just lived in a park and didn't cover up his basses. They got stolen and he'ld get other basses but they would end up looking crashed again, but heellll what a zzziing
  17. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
  18. lol, now that's funny!

But seriously, it just wouldn't be jaco without his jazz, so I really can't see anything but what he used for so many years.
  19. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    He'd play his classic fretless jazz