Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If Metro,s are so Good why do I see so many for Sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foderaman, Jun 21, 2005.

1. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I have noticed on various bass sites what seems to me that there are a lot of Tokyo and Metro Sadowskys for sale.I hear everyone bragging about them but why are a lot of owners selling them?I have 2 NYC,s which are both 4's but am looking to get a 5.Prefer a NYC but the Metros look nice but pictures don't tell the whole story. Maybe some owners can give me the real skinny on them?

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I have the same Q. when i go to buy my new baby,i go for Fender Jazz,the others just try to imitate the real deal even for most expensive price,Fender all the way guys. :cool:

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    You see NYC's too. So..... ?

4. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I think the reason is twofold.

I bought a Metro when they came out. An RV4 to be exact. It's a great bass. I recorded a few cuts on our new CD with it. I bought it for $1400 so I could see what all the Sadowsky hype was about. Now I know it's not hype. These are fantastic basses. I sold the Metro. Not because I didn't like it but because:

1. I wanted a 5 string, I already had about 15 4 string basses. And I want it in black.

2. If I'm going to pay $2000 for an instrument, I want to pick out more of the options instead of Choice A, B, C, D, or E. I would rather have a used NYC for about the same price as a new Metro.

Plus figure in the GAS factor. I see a lot of MTD, Zon, Fbass, Sadowsky USA, and other high end basses for sale too. That certainly doesn't mean that they aren't good.

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Your best option is a Fender Jazz Bass American Deluxe 5 Strings,sweetttttt :hyper:

6. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Actually no. I've played them and they are quite lacking IMO. My MIJ Fender 62 RI is great though and the RBV I had was sweet too.

I've played a few Metro 5 strings and honestly, they kick the crap out of the Deluxe Fenders.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    From my P.O.V., the Sadowsky Metro bass is really the flavor of the month, so to speak. Given all the ink, bandwidth, and word of mouth surrounding them, a lot of players are picking one up to see what the big deal is. FWIW, I've been playing a Sadowsky since 1989..........

As it is with every brand of bass, one size does not fit all. There's going to be people who can't make a Metro work for them for the long haul, so they'll sell out of it.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There are probably almost as many reasons as basses for sale, the more common reasons may be:#1- The type of players that have them probably have a "quiver" of basses that is constantly being refined as their needs change, selling makes sense because....#2-Due to the significant cost and high demand for new Sadowskys(the demand PROVES that they aren't overpriced!) the market for used ones is strong and the value is high compared to other used basses. #3-Maybe Sadowkys aren't "so good" for everyone. #4-He's sold a lot of basses and there are alot out there. Just because you always see a certain kind of car broken down on the side of the road doesn't always mean it's not reliable, it may just mean it's popular!!

9. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    Have you played a Sadowsky? The tone is not for everyone, but the fit, finish, playability, etc. are so far above what Fender puts out (CS and Mastebuilt or whatever they call it excluded) that you have to at least give it props. I have played very few Fenders that did not need (at the very least) a setup, but I have never picked up a Sadowsky that did.

Seriously, play a Sadowsky, they are amazing guitars.

In regards to what this thread was originally about, what everyone else said. There are always basses for sale and at any given time there are more of one brand than another, but it does not mean that the brand isn't great. It just means those owners are moving on to something different.

10. foderaman

foderaman Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    I didn't start my thread to bash Metros or create havoc.Yes I have had 3 Sadowsky NYC,s and still have 2.I love the way they sound and play btu I do have to have the passive tone control to get my sound out of them.I also have owned a **** load of foderas and some are my sound and some weren't so I sold them.Mtd where not my sound!So my main objective with this thread was possibly a way to get opinions that may help me possibly decide if i should try a Metro 5 or to go with a NYC 5.As I know this is all subjective to the kind of sound you are looking for and like!

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Funky Tune, we understand you prefer Fenders, but understand that not all of us feel exactly the same as you. No need to be so anti-Sadowsky.

Frankly, I believe it's a matter of bad financial decisions to jump on the Sadowsky wagon, or a matter of upgrading to EXACTLY the configuration you want as said above.

12. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Wow, if I were the sensitive type, I might start a thread about Fender bashing. ;)

FWIW, I see endless used Fenders for sale, and I still think they're great. If I see more used Metros out there, I'm not thinking, "they must be bad," but I'm thinking, "Great, maybe I can grab one for a good price."

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    am not anti Sadowsky,they have good finish and they are good average basses,but for the price i find the Fender best sound,most strong bass lines,but they are so popular and u think is all about Brands,i still with the first,Fender,you never loose with Fender basses :bassist:

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    For you, for the price, I have no doubt that Fender may be the best option for YOU. Different people have different needs. When so many bassist's who make their sole living from playing bass decide they need a Sadowsky and are lining-up to pay for them you may understand why it sounds silly when you make comments about people being stuck on "brands"(Fender's a brand too!). Lot's of players like Fenders, I know of a few that can easily afford a Sadowsky that are quite happy and succesfull playing MIJ and even MIM Fenders, they are fine instruments. You just can't argue with so many professionals who set the "standard" for the rest of us, I know it's not your intension but it sounds like you are calling everyone else stupid for buying a Sadowsky, I don't doubt that it may be stupid for you to buy one, especially if you don't want one.

15. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    no are trying to share my opinion,thats my only intention,everyone have his favs instruments and is perfect hearing others opinions,we are musicians with diferent ears,i play some Sadowskys and i like them,really i like,but for this price i find the Fender sound as a my sound,maybe i find a good deal in used Sadowsky and i take it,but if i go to buy a hole new instrument,never been played for every one,i have to pick the Fender,nice bass at nice price,the reason is because they are a mayor brand,they can sell quality for less,am not a rich guy and i love music,hey guys,am not try to ofend Sadowsky owners,they are great instruments,maybe some day i have one too..... :)

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe people are using them as a stepping stone to figure if they want to get an NYC Sadowsky to their specs.

17. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    :D

Nope, no Fender bashing from this guy. I like certain Fenders, in fact a lot. However, I have A/B'd the heck out of basses (I think I went through well over $50k in basses over the last year, mostly trading back and forth) to check out different instruments. I wasn't all that impressed with the MIA Fender Deluxe 5 string Jazz. I did however play an FMT that was very nice. I had 2 MIJ 4 stringers that were great and I kept one of them.

I just don't think that Fender has the 5 string Jazz down pat yet like Roger and Mike Lull and a few others do. I also think their build quality is a bit inconsistent. Some of their basses are great and some less that great. In fact I've played a few clunkers to be honest. I have yet to pick up a Sadowsky or Lull or any other high end bass and think "This is not a well made instrument". I have played quite a few $2000+ basses that weren't my thing though.

18. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Words of the month :eyebrow:

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+ 1 I agree. For me Sadowsky is the best 5 string.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This is a prime example of getting what you pay for. :) Price *has* to be taken into consideration. Fender is a production instrument and priced accordingly. Even Metros are more expensive than Fender USA models. Whether or not Lull and Sadowsky are true customs can be debated, but the fact is they are much more expensive, much more customizable, and much more time is spent on fit, finish, and QC.

It would be more fair to compare Fender Custom Shop basses to Lull and Sadowsky.