1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If money is an issue, instead of having 4 or 5 basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    why not buy your DREAM BASS. The hundreds, or thousands, of dollars you pay for a half dozen instruments could be spent on that one bass that you really want.

2. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    because you would never know what bass you really really wanted until you have played/owned about a million. And plus being able to pick up whatever style bass you feel like playing that day is kinda cool:bassist:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sometimes one bass simply isn't practical.

Two different tunings, different pickup combinations, one active, one passive, one fretted one fretless, etc.

I like where your head is at, but multiple basses is the way to go for some people.

4. This doesn't necessarily apply to me, but perhaps those with six instruments find individual qualities in those six that they can't find all in one.

Mike

5. To be honest even if I had my dream nine string which this year I'm building
    I still need a 5 string and my trusty 7 string, or else I'd be bored playing always one bass

6. That does work to an extent. Always try and buy the best you can.

I know I have an absolute hoard, but they all have different attributes and they all get used at different times for different things :)

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have three of my dream basses unfortunately there are many more out there. That doesn't mean money isn't an issue, just that I am not good at managing it! :D

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Might work for some, others need many. I'm good with 3, an active with flats, passive Ric with Rounds, and another tuned BEAD. I'm covered, but always looking.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I would like to see this one bass that can cover the functions of a P-bass w/ flats, an active 5-string w/ roundwounds, a fretless, a short-scale, an old-school J w/ single coils and a Steinberger with EMGs. ;)

11. Sindri907

Sindri907

Feb 24, 2009
    Virginia
    I love cheap basses!

I don't gig or anything, so I dont have anything super fancy, but I find I can get tones I love for the styles I play with the two basses I have (4 string fretted and 5 string fretless), and the total cost me about as much as a new Squire. If you throw in the extra gear I have (transport bag, Zoom multi-fx pedal, stands, straps, etc) Im up to an MIM Fender.

Tone is mostly subjective, and I like what I hear out of my basses, and am more interested in my technique, so why not own a few and have fun with them. That being said, I GAS for a Bongo 5 string fretless, but I think if I sold all my gear for that one bass, Id still miss having a fretted bass.

12. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing ppl that want more than 1 bass. I have 2 already and I can barely play them. :) I wouldn't mind having more basses.

But instead of a handful of $300-$400 basses, I think I could be happy with just having one really really sweet bass.

If money were no object, this wouldn't even be a discussion. I think we all would just get every bass we want regardless of price.

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I know what you're trying to say, but everyone has different needs. Perhaps YOU could be happy with one bass, but many of us NEED more than one. Those of us who do sessions, for instance, probably wouldn't get much work if we only had one bass.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. stylonpilson

stylonpilson

Jun 30, 2008
    Reading, UK
    The way I see it, basses are like shoes. Sure, you could get by with just one pair of shoes. But I don't know anyone who does.

S.P.

15. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I had nothing but a single bass for a long time, but now that I have several at the same time, I wonder how I used to it.

Gigging with only one is a PITA since if something goes wrong, say you break a string or the input works itself loose and the instrument starts popping and crackling in the PA, you're toast. With a backup, you can just grab another axe and continue wih minor incovenience. Same thing with different tunings, altough the number of gigs were I needed different tunings can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I can also leave one instrument at the band's practice space and not have to carry a heavy SOB in a hardcase at every rehearsal.

Now that I don't have to sing anymore (quit old bad/audition for a new band tomorrow with a kickass singer:bassist:) and I defretted my SX, the fretless/fretted/flat with frets trio seems appealing, almost natural to me. since this project, if I'm chosen, will have a mix of jazz, blues and rock, I'll probably have a use for all three (all are p-basses).

Can't do that with a single bass. Plus, I have simple tastes. I don't GAS for boutique stuff or vintage basses. The most I have paid for a guitar is 800 for my Lakland Glaub and I bought it used.

16. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    Oh, I get that. I know that different basses do different things. So then I guess there really isn't, for many of you, a true "dream" bass. You might badly want a certain bass (or 2 or 3 or 4) but that wouldn't be THE bass that you would need. You'd have others in the arsenal.

Perhaps that was part of what I was trying to say that wasn't coming through.

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's all good. :D

Even those of us with several basses may indeed have a "dream bass". We still need to have our workhorses though.

I used to have a killer vintage muscle car. It was my "dream car". I still needed to have a "daily driver" and a "van" however.

18. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I hear what you're saying, Pablo. It's a matter of sacrificing versatility if you go with one very nice instrument versus losing playability and the other things that come with a super high end instrument. I guess that's a personal preference thing. It seems like most people on this forum (IME) would go for more versatility, but most of the bass players I know personally would go for fewer nicer basses.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I can see the OP's point. It seems like having one sweet bass makes more sense (and dollars) than a bunch of "lesser" basses. The thing is, every situation is different. It's been said many times, many ways, some gigs/players REQUIRE more than one bass. For me, I can get by just fine with my one bass. Sure, it would be nice to have more, but in the spirit of the OP, I put all my marbles in one jar. It's not an expensive jar, but it's one jar. I tried an expensive jar and found that my "dream bass" wasn't that at all.

There's also something to be said about trying a lot of basses to find your "dream bass" which may be something completely different than what you thought it would be.

If I were doing a lot of call/session work, you can bet I'd have a few more - and probably better quality. For now, I'm covered.

20. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma

A handful of $300-$400 basses?????!!!!
    I wish I could get by so cheap. :oops: