1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If pressurewounds are too aggressive and I don't want flats or tapes, what do I want?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Noylin, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    By "too aggressive" I mean a little too much crunch in the mids, the top end is fine. I have a very mid forward, aggressive sounding bass, and would like to find something a bit smoother in the mids.

There's only about 4 hours of play on my Ghs pressurewound set. Wait for them to mellow? Ghs balanced nickels?

2. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    They will mellow!

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah if you don't want flats, be patient with those.

4. As a regular Pressurewound user, my next step down in “aggressiveness” would be the GHS Brite Flats, which are Alloy 52 half-rounds.

5. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    Two votes for let them mellow... I'm willing to stick with them if the mids settle down

I have a set of Smith slick rounds which I think are pretty equivalent, and they strike me as more flat like. I'm looking for the more full spectrum tone of rounds, just without the bark or crunch in the middle the PWs have - at least when new

e-flat likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That mid forward bass doesn't happen to have a DiMarzio P pickup in it, does it? I have one I have to tame with EQ. It's aggressive, but I like it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    No, Nord big splits.

My usually aggressive picking adds to the mid crunch too. I'll rely on EQ until the PWs settle down...

DJ Bebop and two fingers like this.
  8. GHS Balanced Nickels.

BassPilot, Joedog, unclebass and 2 others like this.
  9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    My first suggestion would be to coat them w/ Eucerin, let sit overnight & clean off the excess- that should kill all the “zing” and “clank” and mellow the PWs nicely. If you want them even more mellow, repeat the process the following night.

JimmyM and Noylin like this.
  10. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Pyramid Pure Nickels. Amazing strings and perfect for what you're describing. Like all strings they need some time to break in but once they've broken in they're absolutely amazing and probably the smoothest rounds I've tried. They still sound and feel like rounds though, not a flatwound vibe at all. They age really well too. Unlike most rounds the Pyramid Nickels just get better with age IMO.

e-flat likes this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    this may or may not be good advice...try a compressor or limiter first thing in your signal chain?

Noylin likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    All strings mellow as they age. Give them some time.

13. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    +1 :thumbsup:
    Eucerin Skin Cream Kills Strings DEAD!!!

JimmyM and Noylin like this.
  14. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That's kinda surprising. I actually found the balanced nickels were more 'brash' than the pressurewounds...

Noylin likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Maybe a set of LaBella Copper White Nylons? Very nice mids and warm tone. I’ve got a set on my Spector ReBop fiver. That’s a fairly (by design) aggressive sounding bass. The copper whites toned it down and taught it some manners. Just a suggestion.

16. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    I'm actually thinking about turning the comp OFF to help hide the mids some

Frenchy-Lefty and yodedude2 like this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’d definitely try that. :thumbsup:

18. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i don't understand quite how that would work but give it a try. or maybe a scoop e.q.

19. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Use your amp’s EQ.

gebass6 likes this.
  20. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    La Bella White Nylons.

Brother Goose, Cutter8 and e-flat like this.