If "proper" technique dictates

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mon Rominee, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Your fretting hand's thumb should land down the center of the neck during play, would it be a bad idea to just contour the treble side of the rear neck profile? Sure, "soften" the edge of the bass side, but in general, relatively square.

I know it sounds like a real "green" question, but I'm kinda serious. Barring any comfort issues or weight issues, would it make the neck any more stable? Has anyone done this? I mean aside from looking a bit unorthodox, why not?

Just jabbering a little bit is all. Thoughts?

I understand if you guys think this is a foolish question...

edit: I remember in a recent bassplayer mag, seeing a bass called a "worp" that had something similar to this.
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I've been thinking about the same thing lately.

I think that to some extent you'd still want the ability to curve your thumb over past where it "should" be.

BTW, here's where you can find the Bassline Worp.

However, if you go to the German site and look at the pic of the back of the Worp, youll see that it as a nearly-fully-conventionally curved neck.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Now defunct German bass maker Frame had a neck profile that was flattened at the back, and this "plateau" was tilted - near the headstock (well, actually it was a composite headless) it was off center, between the upper edge of the neck and the back, and it gradually moved to the center in the upper register, guiding the thumb.
    This was in the early 90s, when asymmetrical necks were all the rage (in Germany), but somehow it didn't catch on.
  4. While it's technically proper to keep you thumb there, it works better in real life when you move around a bit. And you have to go over if you want to bend.
  5. Thanks guys. I was just thinking it might be a kinda neat alternative, as I have Herman Munster hands, and like alot of neck to grip onto. Maybe it'll just be a "me" thing, but I'm going to do it, just to see. Outta some scrap poplar or something.

Thanks again.
    Ron :bassist:
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    About a year ago, someone made a bass that actually had a wide, shallow groove up the middle of the neck - so it was, in effect, concave instead of convex.
  7. They did the same with the multi-lam NS design upright.

Not the Czech version, but the one that was alternating layers of maple and graphite...the neck's back follows the same radius as the fingerboard.

Hmmm. "blood grooves" on bass necks. They really ARE a weapon.

8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A few years back I had a BassLab for test, with the most gorgeous nack back!
    In those days, Heiko was offering three neck profiles: an ordinary C-shape, a very rectangular (flat back and rather big radii on the edges), and a parallelogram (like a V-shape, but the peak flattened; about an inch wide).
    The one I tried was the rectangular, and I fell in love! really improved my technique! I guess the parallelogram would even more. My SUBurban LoW has a rectangular profile...

Re. stability, the more material, the more bend stiffness. The more material away from the centerline, the more twist stiffness, but less cuping stiffness.