1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If the Peavey Cirrus is so good, why are people always selling them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ben Johnson, May 3, 2006.

1. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Unapologetic Guitarist

May 2, 2006
    Chicago
    I've not played one yet, and I'm definitely not a great bassist by any means (I'm primarily a guitarist, looking for a nice bass for recording purposes), but I hear great things about them, and they review very well here as well as Harmony Central.

But there are always SEVERAL Cirri that are up for sale, and I can't help but wonder why.

Hello.......I'm new here.

2. GAS

3. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Welcome to Talkbass Ben!

I might venture a guess as to why people sell them...it's probably the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) that makes them think they need a newer, badder, better sounding bass. They're great instruments in their own right, but some people are never satisfied...especially us bass players! :)

Stick around for awhile you'll definitely learn a thing or two around here. :)

AuG

4. Ben Johnson

May 2, 2006
    Chicago
    I see. Thanks.

I've been using an older SR506 - I wanted to learn more advanced technique on a sixer, but I never really got the hang of it. I'll stick to the guitar for now, in the advanced techniqe department. Anyway, the SR isn't really what I'm looking for in terms of B string tightness, so after I heard about extended scale basses, my eyes lit up. I'm probably looking for a Cirrus 5 or even 4, which I'd tune to BEAD.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    They're great but often people sell them because they want to move up to a true custom made entirely to their specs. Another thing to note is that many of the ones for sale on the clasifieds (the one I picked up was a case of this) are because the owner wants more/less strings. They're awesome basses but of course a truley bespoke custom costing 4x as much is likely going to be even better.

6. Ben Johnson

May 2, 2006
    Chicago
    :rollno: I don't think my bass skills could ever justify a custom.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The thing people haven't mentioned is that while these may be pretty good basses - Peavey don't really have a good "name" as a bass maker and are mostly associated with cheap (budget) amplification....?

So people may be thinking - well for that price I could have a Fender, which is the bass to have for certain styles,situations - so you see huge numbers of bass players on TV playing Fenders - very few playing Peavey - all to do with the "MTV effect"...:meh:

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Cirri are not sold proportionally more than the many other brands of high end basses which are sold very often here at TB and elsewhere. Here's my take on why.

Folks who are buying $1200 dollar basses have moved past intermediate basses and are searching for "the sound". It usually takes a number of tries to find your sound.

Additionally, if someone has the financial ability to buy a new Cirrus/Lakland/Smith/Sadowsky, etc. they probably have the financial stability to buy and sell basses without worrying too much about a bit of loss or gain. So you see alot of really nice basses that many of us would never be able to aquire or think of selling for sale on TB as thier owners look for the next better/different bass.

9. Ben, don;t "FRET". Unfortuntely I've seen many bass players whose instruments far outweigh their skills. And one or two locally that can make a POS SX sound good.

Don't get hung up on names. I have an old Peavey that will outplay most anything at Guitar Center under $2000. They're only $200-300 all day long. But, you know, they're not "cool" or the "in thing". Like, being a numbers guy, I can;t really quantify IN or COOL.

I bought a Lakland off TB used. didnt get a deal" perse, but had a feeling and it turned out to be a wonder. A bit too brite, but a perfect fitting bass. I have seen these, in 4 string, for under $500 as well. ( 44-01 )

Just remember, when you switch to bass, to be more of a "drummer" than a strummer. Feel the beat!

10. GAS and in my case money to fix my car. I am one of those trying to sell my Cirrus. I originally wanted to move up to a six string (GAS) but events have happened since then

11. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Hi, this is my first post here. I have owned both 4 and 5 string Cirrus basses. They sound great and were easy to play but they eat batteries bad. To make matters worse it is difficult to change the dead batteries. You have to loosen 5 or 6 tiny screws and then use like a tiny flat-blade jewelers screwdriver to pry off the cover. I no longer own either bass, the last straw with the 5-sting happened when it died in the middle of a song that I was singing. I traded it in on a musicman HH 5 which in my opinion has more tone options and has a pop open battery compartment.

12. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas

Which cirrus did you have? Mine is two screws, and it just takes a fingernail to get under the cover to pop them out.

You might also check your wiring, I've heard of people using the batteries for months. I've had mine in for a couple, and they seem to be fine, playing at least 4 or 5 hrs a week.

As far as why people sell them... I dunno. People sell stuff all the time. I see Fenders, Sads, Dingwalls, Laklands, EBMMs... everything FS here on the forums. I think the Cirrus just happens to be a nice bass that people can afford to try and pass on. You can't really flip a $3k Fodera easily (I couldn't), but a $800 or $900 bass isn't that bad.

I don't know that I'll hang onto mine forever. I like it. It plays absolutely beautifully. But some people are just gear whores.

P.

13. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Ben Johnson and Modulusman .... Welcome to TB land :D

Don't let things here sway you too much, either. TB is like a wierd world of bass all to its own, and a lot of times the opinions here seem like the final word of authority when in reality it's just a bunch of chuckleheads (like me) yakking about basses ...... ;)

But that said, lots of cool things are here to be shared and the Peavey Cirrus has a lot of supporters. Bass popularity is a cycle and right now it does seem like the Cirrus line is in a selling frenzy .... take advantage of the good deals and you'll get a well built quality bass that will serve you well.

Use the Search feature for more good info about Cirrus ..... :cool:

14. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I'm going on 2 years with the current batteries in my Cirrus, and it sees PLENTY of playing time. In fact I've had mine since 99, and I've only changed the batteries twice. You may have had some issue with your electronics.

There are only 2 screws in the battery compartment...I'm not sure what was up with yours having 5?

15. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Both of my Cirruses were the maple. I traded the 4 string in about 5 years ago. I really can't remember how many screws were on the battery cover. On the cirrus five I know there was at least 4 screws if not 6. I will be going to the music store this weekend and if the bass is still there I will check. I bought it new in 2004. I was only able to get 25 to 30 hours of playing time before the batteries would die. Maybe something was wrong with the wiring since all my other active basses lasted a lot longer.

16. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    I have a 1998 model, and there is a separate battery compartment with 2 screws. The EQ and pots have a cover with 4 screws in them.

P.

17. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    +1...All of the US made Cirrus models are set up like this - separate compartments for the battery and electronics with 2 and 4 screws respectively.

18. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Hi modulusman again. Maybe I am wrong about the number of screws. If so I apologize. I own a Modulus Quantum 5 that has 4 screws that need to be removed to change the batteries. I replace my batteries every 3 months on all my active basses whether they need it or not. since this is something that I don't do that often maybe I got confused between the Modulus and the cirrus. Sorry.

19. Ben Johnson

May 2, 2006
    Chicago

I'll remember that. Thanks!

20. Welcome to TB!

LMAO, wow what a bad pun. Thank you for that, you are my new hero. hahaha:eek: :smug: :p