Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

if the pickups are closer to the strings, how would the sound change?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Grendal's daddy, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Grendal's daddy

Grendal's daddy Guest

Mar 25, 2001
    USA, Fort Worth
    I like to have very high action. I thought that I might be losing some sound since the strings are so high. But I was wondering if I raised my pickups closer to the strings, how would it change the sound?

2. Vintage pickups had lots of magnet and relatively little coil, so even though you might be tempted to put the pickups close to the strings, if you do that, the magnetic pull can cause some weird warbly underwater sounds (I tried that with a 57 reissue P). For Fender minimum recommended distances see http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/basssetup.html . The distance varies with other pickups. I replaced the vintage pickup on that 57 with an active EMG, and set them up ultra-close (they have so little pull that you can run EMGs as close to the strings as you want without worrying about pull).