Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If there's a better bass solo than...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by stormwriter, Jun 5, 2005.

1. stormwriter

stormwriter

Mar 25, 2005
    NHOP's solo on Little Train from The Viking with Philip Catherine, then i'd like to hear it...

2. I have EVERYTHING that Niels has done on CD, Record, DVD, and I gotta tell you, I could list at least 50 individual solos that he's done over numerous recordings and they are ALL up there with "Little Train"......
    THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER NHOP! (RIP) :crying:

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Red Mitchell's solo on THESE FOOLISH THINGS with the Hampton Hawes Trio

PC's intro, melody and solo on YOU'D BE SO NICE... off BASS ON TOP.

OP's STARDUST

Solos/bassists/etc. are like paintings. Certain things speak to you on certain days. "Better" and especially "best" when speaking about things like this shows exactly how successful Madison Avenue has been at warping language, perception and discernment...

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC

that "you'd be nice" was one of the first transcriptions I ever did! Love it....

And regarding "stardust" - talk about making the low strings speak.....all NHOP/Gomez freaks should check stuff like that out. I love thumb position solos too (corny phrase), but you don't see as many guys solo like that anymore!

I haven't heard the NHOP track yet, but tell us what makes it great for you. Or at least, why now.

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Well said.

I'm kinda partial to Scott LaFaro's iconic work on "Gloria's Step" off Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Something tells me that NHOP listened to that one, d'ya think?

In the "So-Called Best Solo By An Artist Still Alive And Breathing" category, I was powerfully shaped by Dave Holland's introduction to "Conference of the Birds" from his 1974 album of the same name. Michael Moore's solo on "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To" from Bob Brookmeyer Small Band is about as sweet as can be, and way different. Stan Clarke's solo on Chick Corea's "Spain" from Light as a Feather spun a lot of heads back in the day. (It certainly favors passion over precision, but some days that's "best" in my book.)

Heck, man, Chris Fitzgerald's last solo kicks my ass (in a postive fashion).

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    SAM - without knowing which solo that might be, I would like to add two things:

1) You are, as usual, far too kind, and;
    2) It is always a pleasure to place foot in the vicinity of the posterior of another accomplished bassist, since my own oft-bruised posterior has many favors to return in this regard. :)

WRITERS ON THE STORM - solos that kick my butt include:

The Red and PC solos that Ed mentioned; the Michael Moore solo that Sam mentioned; Drew Gress' chorus on "I Fall In Love Too Easily" (transcription is posted on this site) from Fred Hersh's "Dancing in the Dark" (a ballad-waltz); Bromberg's solo on "Dolphin Dance" from "Wood", and just about anything Ray played with the Gene Harris/Jeff Hamilton trio. Happy hunting!

7. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    They are all great solos
    It is impossible to compare.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    We could count rests...

9. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    ED?????????

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    You know, as one way of comparing them.

11. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'll add another amazing one...

Ray Brown's solo that opens "Blues for Groundhog" on Memories of Thelonious Sphere Monk with Monty Alexander, Milt Jackson, and Mickey Roker (now there's a name you don't hear often).

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I happen to be a fan Of Vitous' work on his first solo lp.

13. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    There's one I never get tired of hearing. Actually, Oscar recorded Stardust a bunch of times (I have 4 versions of it) and it's great listening to what he plays differently and what he plays the same. He plays a lot of the same "licks" on the different recordings, but even when he's playing the same notes, hearing how he plays them differently each time is very informative and inspirational to me.

14. Besides all them Red Mitchell solos, most of which a cat could sit down and make a decent tune out of....one of my all-time favorites is Ray Brown's solo on 'How High the Moon' The Oscar Peterson Trio at the Stratfort Shakespearian Festival.

Also, this outing, IMHO, swings harder than about anything ever recorded.......I bet there was some serious damage to the wood in the hardwood flooring on the stage from these cats tapping their feet! Ouch!! Pure cookin'

15. I know Bromberg gets slammed alot on the BG side of this site, but I think his work on Dave Grusin's Homage to Duke is incredible. "Satin Doll" and "Caravan" come to mind.

16. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Oscar Pettiford on Tricotism with Lucky Thompson. I love the opening phrase he plays on his solo, really catchy and just sings.

17. Beto

Beto

Aug 1, 2005
    Costa Rica
    ID LIKE Patitucci on "Morning Sprite" from Chick Corea Akoustic Band album live, "ALIVE"

18. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    RIGHT ON

That solo changed my life. No one will ever come close to Ray Brown. Everything from the fours in the beginning, to the killer two bass line then the four line under the guitar and finally those two buringing choruses was perfect.

19. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Alright, here are my desert island solos:

1) Christian McBride's solo on "One Finger Snap" (from the "Fingerpainting" CD with Mark Whitfield and Nicholas Payton),

2) Christian McBride's solo on "Thermo" (from "The Fire Within" CD with Don Braden and Jeff Tain Watts)

3) Bob Hurst's solo bass rendition of "Evidence" (from the "RH presents RH" CD)

4) Dave Holland's solo on "Heyoke" (from the "Gnu High" CD with Kenny Wheeler, Keith Jarrett and Jack DeJohnette)

5) Red Mitchell's solo on "April in Paris" (from some Hampton Hawes CD)

Ouch, there's too many too mention. I'll stop here.

-Marco

20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    My teacher just laid the OP Live at Birdland recording (with Gigi Gryce) on me, the solo on PERDIDO (on cello) is pretty happening...