1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If there's one thing white people hate....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phalex, May 13, 2011.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If someone called me a racist, I would welcome a further discussion as to why they feel like they do about me. It would be a chance to learn more about myself, or possibly clear up a misunderstanding. The thing is, being called a racist is not a death sentence. Believing someone you know is a racist, but never telling them would be doing that person a disservice.

-Mike

2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Seriously?

3. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    this, man. i'm well aware that as a white male i have certain privileges that other groups do not. but i'm not going to apologize for taking advantage of the opportunities in front of me. my success isn't necessarily someone else's loss. a level playing field is accomplished by raising people up, not putting them down.

4. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    yeah, seriously?

5. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    The same way as any other human being can be racist, I'd expect ... by assuming negative things about other people based on their race.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Dude, if you think a black guy can't be racist, I have to say that you certainly are not a black guy I would ever hang out with. There are plenty of racist black guys. Hell, I know a black guy who doesn't like black people. Sure he grew up in whiteyland and his favorite band is Iron Maiden, but still, he is a racist. Then you have idiots like Sharpton and Jackson. They are racists. They hold black people down when they should be trying to empower them instead of lining their own pockets and THEY DON'T LIKE WHITE PEOPLE.

I posit that if a black guy can't be racist then you have a lot of balls calling any white boy racist.

For the record, I am half German, half Cherokee, so half the time I hate myself. ;)

7. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    I don't neglect or condone the fact that as a white man (half white, actually, but I look the part :)) I do have certain advantages in life. But I do have a problem when I am told that I should feel guilty about something that I shouldn't feel guilty for.

Someone said in an earlier post that it's funny when someone says they hate broad generalizations, and then goes and makes a broad generalization. Well that has happened to me quite a few times. You see, my family origins in the united states is traced back to the early 1900's, and as far as I know there were no slave owners then, at least not in NYC. Also, my ethnic origins are that of minorities. Mexicans are still the butt of many a joke and are under-represented in every phase of government and society. While not a current problem, the Irish were treated very poorly in this country (not to mention their own) for a very long time.

The point is this: we all have more in common than we might think at first. Leaders in groups maintain power by separating not uniting. It is up to the people themselves (ourselves) to look past these perceived differences and unite for the common good.... whatever that is :)

Just my 2 centavos

8. purpletornado

purpletornado

Aug 5, 2009
    As a child of a inter-racial parents I know exactly what you're talking about. I felt it from both sides on many occasions.

9. I get the feeling that this was a joke... but with Jauqo, you never quite know, do you :D?

So far, this has been a cool thread. Looking forward to more responses.

I suppose I should contribute something to the discussion... Well, I've always wanted more Asian friends. Does that count a contribution :p?

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

That's not necessarily being a racist.

When a person of another race feels or has something negative to say about another race, that does not constitute a racist. A white person having something to say negative about a black person does not make that white person racist.

And it's interesting how you threw Sharpton and Jackson into this. Makes one wonder what have they done to you ;)

And no Kwesi, it wasn't a joke. It was a question.

White people want to call black people racist. They need to first learn what the ideology of institutionalism superiority is first. Before they accuse a black person of being a racist.

It's childish for any one to think and falsely believe that one is simply racist because one race has something negative or derogatory to say about another race.

And don't forget stereotypes are alive and well and dwelling in the real world.

11. One doesn't have to have something done to them to think that someone else is an idiot.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I know this Kwesi.

13. Well then it was a silly question. I have a very simply definition of racism that I think most people can get behind.

There ya go. Anyone can be a racist. It's not hard.

14. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    The idea of institutional superiority is not a cruch that someone can use to rationalize behavior. (Not accusing you if this, just a counter argument)

That's the same rational that white people use when they say "don't mind my grandma, that's just the time she grew up in." No, your grandma is racist. Do we grant immunity to low ranking German soldiers of ww2? Can they not say that they were victims of another kind, doing the bidding of a larger, more powerful entity?

I digress, but what I am trying to say is that regardless of a person's ethnic origin, he or she is responsible for his or her actions. A black person is just as capable of racist behavior as a white person, or a Spanish person, etc.

It is when we all start seeing one another as the same, not as a group with an inferiority complex or a superiority complex, but just as Joe from down the block or Mary from next door will we get past this..a little idealistic, yes, but its nice to dream. :)

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Kwesi it's not a silly question. It was a valid question. As most questions are.

I wonder what would your thoughts be if a white man asked the same question.

16. I think there are plenty of silly questions in the world. However, if this is simply of a difference of opinion on the definition of racism then I take my words back but if we agree on that then the question was silly.

And if a white man asked me the same question I suspect that I'd laugh... then call it a silly question but that's speculation :p

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    What some perceive as racist behavior really is nothing more than ignorance.

We live in a pop culture dominated society. Today's society wants every thing at the blink of an eye(microwavable everything). so instead of wanting to know the roots of some thing they just take the fluff of what is exposed and take it for what it's usually not.

People today want to accuse some one of being a racist when a logical question is asked, or some one things negative of a race other than their own.

I'm sure some here feel that I'm racist based off of my posts in this thread but that's the furthest thing from the truth.

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Yeah.

19. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Really? the what if's are excuses. Fat people, ugly people, handicapped people suffer these same types of discrimination, yet you believe it is somehow reserved for the minority ethnicities? This is a reality for anyone who's superiors harbor disdain for specific traits, be it ethnic, appearence, or physicality.

What's to explain, it was pretty clear. Too many people in our society make excuses for why their life is as it is, and take no personal responsibility. Our society favors the well off, the well connected, and the good looking. Yet everyone expects a trophy for showing up. This world is about competing, and the strong survive most discrimination through initiative, not welfare. When all people are rewarded for their effort, and the free rides are ended, racism will decrease greatly, but it's a lesson our society has yet to learn, as most these days take no personal responsibility.

And I apologize for the prison documentary reference, I have never been in a prison, so it is my only point of reference.

20. The real question is: Could a racist admit to himself that he was a racist?

[​IMG]