1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

if they made a bass version of this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    ... I'd play the hell out of it.

[​IMG]

Apparently this is a new Gibson guitar they debuted at Musikmesse. Has anyone ever made a reverse explorer (or is it... non-reverse?) at any point?

2. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Yeah, that's where I stole the photo from. Gibson needs to build this in a bass version. And beef up their quality control so that it comes out half decent. Can you imagine... a Gibson bass without neckdive!

3. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    No.

Except a ripper/grabber.

...No.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've seen that headstock before...
    bg01.

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I like the reverse Flying V. The strap lock stays above the 12th fret, i bet it balances great.

Funny how Gibson has to reverse their designs so they can look more rational to me :p

6. Hi.

What an ugly guitar ;).

Actually I think it's closer to the "original" Moderne, but with a different machine head configuration.

Regards
    Sam

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I don't like the headstock. Plus I hear bad things about those gearless tuners.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've often thought a "reverse" Explorer would look just as rocking as a regular one, but with so much better balance!

9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I like that Gibson is experimenting with their logo a little bit... I assume that must have been an older logo of theirs, but man, I like it. Very late '50s / early '60s in the best way possible. Like the old gibson guitar amps that look sweet as all-get-out.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Neck dive isn't a result of quality control, it's in the design itself. How the body balances, with the neck and all the hardware on. In order to reduce the neck dive they'd have to modify the design, or use different hardware.

11. I have visited the Musikmesse for two days, including spending much time at the Gibson Booth (which was tucked away at the upper floor, away from the 'popular' locations).

If Gibson had something that (I'll say this polite) odd-looking on show I'd be sure to have seen it! I have not seen it, but then again, I was only looking at the Basses..

12. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    A reverse Explorer? With a Moderne head? Wow! Gibson's finally run out of new ideas! Time for that Barney Kessel bass yet?

13. Ramstien

Ramstien

Aug 19, 2007
    Perth
    All they need to do now is literally reversing the Thunderbird design to get rid of neck-dive.

14. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's hysterically funny! :p

15. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I'm afraid to think how large a case for this thing would be... Normal Explorers' cases are already monumental, and this.... :eyebrow:

16. They come with stuff like this, but refuse to re-release the RD.
    Why on earth would they do that?:confused:

17. Actually, they did do/are doing a limited run of the RD, but only as a guitar. There is one at a local shop here in Des Moines.

18. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or so they say. Must be true, because I think that guitar is bugly-fugly. YMMV, of course.

19. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    I usually dont like the radical body shapes but I'm really liking the reverse explorer body. That pickguard looks sweet too. If only I had 2 grand....