If this TBird real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlos840, Mar 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Do not buy that

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    It is a Studio Thunderbird. Totally legit.

3. Wow, no way. I always though the studios had all the same design features.

4. I do remember those, i didn't know they had that weird headstock...
    Not much info on them around.

thanks

5. Jahsteve

Jahsteve

Aug 30, 2010
    the look of it seems to mirror my studio IV. head stack is thinner than straight up thunderbird... It is set neck. Obviously could be a fake studio due to him not giving serial numbers and what not... I paid about 1200 in nashville about '09. BUt to reiterate its a thunderbird studio. not a traditional thunderbird.

Sartori likes this.
  6. IMO the thinner headstock is a cool look.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm guessing the bridge has been replaced. I don't know what originally came on a Studio, but I would have expected it to be black, like the tuners and pickups, instead of chrome. Other than that, it's just overpriced, not counterfeit as far as I can tell. Gibson made black tolex cases for a while in the zeros and early teens. I'm not sure when they switched from tan to black, and I don't know if it was 2014 or 2015 that they switched back to tan cases.

8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    It's been removed from ebay, so maybe the seller got called out.

9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Looks real to me. The Studio models came with a set neck and modern bridge. I always wanted one.

pudgychef likes this.
  10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I just looked at it again. The tuners are chrome, so the bridge is probably stock. It's just way overpriced, that's all.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021