1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If two are great, three would be... (Euphonic Audio content).

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, May 18, 2011.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    silly.

Had some free time today, lately I've been gigging with a Crown Drivecore XLS1000, Yamaha PB-1 (or Mike Pope Mitre Box) preamp and a pair of Euphonic Audio VL110 transmission line cabs. Excellent performance. I'd been wondering how it would sound with my third VL110 cab, finally got around to trying it today. Pretty ridiculous. The pair already sounded large beyond their physical size, adding the third was just more of a good thing. I'll probably take this out for a real spin this weekend.

EAVL110rig.

VL110 cabs are a bargain (IMO) on the used market when they turn up, which isn't too often. For my type of gigs a pair is the minimum required. They're 3 way cabs and heavier than their small size might suggest.

I wonder what four would sound like.
    :smug:

2. raymondl3

raymondl3

Dec 10, 2007
    USA
    Looks nice. Bet it gets a good clean sound.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Those cabs are sweet. 3 driven adequately should sound phenominal!

4. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I see you've been pumping a little iron to help yourself move those beefy little suckers. :D

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Not really... each cab is an easy one-hander. I use a cart anyway. They looker smaller IRL.

6. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Err...uh...I guess the weights in the background and my attempt at a funny just didn't click. Oh well, enjoy those cabs Brad!!

7. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I got it. :D

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Sorry about that. That was funny. I've just been preoccupied.

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I bet that does sound great!

I got a PB-1 as an inexpensive avenue to decent sound with more power (with a CP2000 power amp bridged) than my EA iAmp-600.

Run those into an EA CX-310 -- I like the PB-1 a lot more than I thought I would -- great preamp!!!

...and the whole rig together is really a killer rig -- solid, tight low end, punchy mid-bass, all the clarity you could ever want in the midrange and treble without being harsh.

I like!!!

10. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    As I recall from my days with them, they weighed about 50lb. per cab. Unreal sound with two cabs, but they liked - and needed - lots of power. 4 would just be stupid... in an awesome way!

11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    They're closer to 40lbs each.

12. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    What rack case is that? Looks like you made it yourself maybe?

13. jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's all good!

14. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    +1 for EA VL-110 cabinets. They rock, especially for fretless IMO. I attached a picture from an outdoor gig last month at Walter Read Army Hospital. There was no PA support for bass (the PA in the picture was for another group). Two VL-110's handled it fine, no problem.

15. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Picture upload didn't work. Oh well.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Supposed to be 37 lb. IIRC. Pretty easy to put in a vehicle. And yeah, they love power.

Four stacked vertically would probably be like a full body massage on a gig.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yeah, the PB-1's are sleepers. I have a couple of them. I've also run this setup with my Mike Pope Mitre Box and that was unreal.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Actually it's an Odyssey rack bag. Picked it up from Guitar Center online for $69 late last year. I love it. It's a 3 space shallow rackbag that has a wooden fabric covered removable insert. Pop one end of the bag open at the gig, slide the rack out and set up. Slides back in easily too. I think it looks alot cleaner than having things setup in a bag. So far it's been very durable.

Here ya go:
    Odyssey 3-Space Rack Bag and more DJ Cases & Bags at GuitarCenter.com.

19. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    ahhh... nice. I'm gonna have to grab one of those. Thanks.

20. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I guess it just seemed like 50... they were awfully heavy for their size, but they sure didn't take up an awful lot of room. Honestly I think I made a mistake selling them, but I didn't feel like hauling an amp big enough to power them anymore. They did sound wicked with a GBE1200 though... :D Maybe should have waited for the Streamliner 900 to come out? :meh: