if warwicks weren't so darn heavy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    i swear i'd have 3 or 4 of em. but when i play them i feel like im working out in the weight room. is it the ovangkol that's so heavy?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The ovangkol isnt that heavy, its the bubinga that is. I think the weight makes them feel cool; kind of a sense of quality to em. Although i like lighter weight, alder basses a lot too :bassist:
  3. So true... otherwise I would definitely have a fretless thumb, the necks play great but will strain your own neck playing it. :(
  4. If the tone is there, suck it up.
  5. you just need the right strap.
  6. Well, I was real close to taking a FL Thumb 5 outta GC a couple weeks ago but between the weight and the neck dive it just didn't seem right, but again, it did sound and play great.

Does anyone have one that can advise the right strap and/or have moved the bottom strap screw location to help w/these issues?
  7. I guarantee that if Warwicks weren't heavy, there would be a million threads that "Warwicks suck because they're not heavy enough."
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I don't care for the Thumb's neck-dive, either. Keep your eyes peeled for an older Streamer Pro M or LX manufactured in the late 90's. Wenge necks, great tone, light-weight, and well-balanced.

9. I think when you have a heavier bass, it feels just a lot studier, and something that will sound heavier.

None of my basses are very lightweight, yet when I put on a warwick or something, you can tell it's something you couldn't break, even if you tried.

Also, if Thumb's didn't cost 3k+, I'd probably have one or two by now.
  10. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    I just bought a fretted Thumb NT5, and I was alarmed at the neck dive. It was so bad that I felt like I was holding half the weight of the entire bass in my fretting hand when standing (which, essentially, I guess I was). I got a much wider leather strap, and that eliminated about half of the neck dive. I am now in the process of sending it to a tech to have the strap pin moved to where it is shown in the photos on Warwick's site:

The wide, stiff strap and the strap pin move apparently will take the Thumb to a point where the neckdive will bring the bass to a horizontal position when not touched.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not sure that moving it to the left, as pictured there, will help all that much. Moving the other strap pin behind the neck joint would probably help more, or something.
  12. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have a warwick thumb NT4. Extremely light bass, and not the slightest bit neck heavy.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The "right strap" is only going to distribute the weight evenly. It's not going to do anything to dimish the fact you've got a twelve pound slap of wood hanging off your neck.

I don't buy into the whole "if it has the sound, suck it up" stuff. I've got a LOT of issues with Warwicks, personally -- the huge baseball bat necks with the nasty feeling wood (I hate the uber-open-grain thing, feels gross), huge neckdive (I find the things zeronyne described to be inexcusable in ANY bass, especially one that kind of price tag), the huge weight issue...etc. Which is a shame, because I gassed about Warwicks for a year and a half before laying my hands on one :(.

And if nothing else, Whafrodamus's post indicates that they're not consistent ;).
  14. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    I think it's a personal thing. I have seen folks wearing a warick and they looked uncomfortable. I like my corvette 5 string and it's heavy for sure but I carry 230 lbs of me around all day so it's not much of a big deal to me. I can lose/gain 12 lbs in a month so i don't notice 12 lbs as a heavy object.
  15. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Actually, I had the exact opposite reaction. I hated the look of and just about everything else about all Warwicks until I finally got to play this Thumb about two weeks ago. I bought it a week later. I think the neck feels great and the tone is unbelievable. But I do agree that some work should have been done on the ergonomics...a lot of work.

And I do plan to get the body factory refinished to gloss black :D
  16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Must be talking about "some other" Warwick.

My Streamer Pro weighs 7.8 lbs. and has perfect balance.
  17. With the "suck it up" comment I meant about the weight. If it plays good, and you like that sound and everything, then I would suck it up, but if it didnt play good at all, I would find something different. And when I made that comment, I hope I didn't sound too harsh or snappy. :)
  18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The problem is not the weight, it's the balance. My basses are heavy, but they don't feel like it because they perfectly balance (yet another reason to go headless). Even the heaviest bass will feel better if it balances correctly. The only Warwicks I know of that do this are the Fortress and the Dolphin. So much energy is wasted holding the neck up that your fretting hand technique suffers terribly.

I'd probably be a huge proponent of Warwick if it weren't for the balance issue. As it is, the only one I wouldn't mind having would be the Dolphin, which is a wonderful instrument.
  19. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    For all of you that complain about the balance on the Thumb basses, why do you buy them? If it it a problem for anyone, buy a Streamer Stage I or II, the balance is beautiful with them.

Personally, I love the looks, feel, and tone of the Thumbs and Streamers, although I personally like the Streamer Stage II the best. As far as the baseball size necks, the four string basses are not large at all! I can compare them to my Suhr Jazz bass as far as size goes. Now are you going to tell me the Suhr J basses have baseball size necks? I think not! I will say that the Warwick five string bass do have a larger neck on them and I get along with them well but, I just can't deal with the narrow string spacing on them. As anything goes, every bass is not going to satisfy everyone.

One more thing I'd like to say. I'll bet that quite a few people posting about the "baseball size necks" have never even picked up a Warwick before because as I said before, the four string Thumb and Streamer Stage II basses do not have a large neck at all.

Have a great Christmas everyone!
  20. Being the owner of several Warwicks, I would strongly advise anyone who has an issue with the Thumb bass balance, weight or neck to take a serious look at the Infinity LTD 2000. This bass is well balanced, light (semi-hollow) and the examples I have seen all have necks that are thin through and very comfortable to play. The Infinity manages to sound like the Thumb NT, but with a little more articulation. The only criticism I can inject is that the neck profile has lower height than the Thumb which makes it a bit more difficult to slap, and the looks won't appeal to everyone...