1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If we could get Ceriatone to build a tube amp, which circuit would you choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fireincairo, Sep 12, 2008.

1. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    They do a ton of classic guitar circuits, maybe they should do a couple of classic bass circuits? They actually do a Marshall Super Bass and a Bassman, but I'm thinking maybe something with a ton of headroom and maybe some massive power rating would be in order.

What would you suggest?

2. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
  3. A real SVT!
    Thank You

4. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    What era is a "real" SVT?

I hear a lot of love for the old B15 circuit, though it isn't a high wattage amp.

5. Traynor YBA-3. I'm thinking of doing one from scratch.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The pre from a Dual Showman but coupled to a strong 200 watt power section.

I want the gain available from the Reverb circuit - but no Reverb circuit. Fender amps with Reverb have it tonally. Fender amps without often don't ...

I want a Jensen based DI on-board as an option.

I want an insert point ahead of the tone stack AND one post tone stack. (Jumper around the tone stack and use some gucci parametric in ... the buffered effects loop.)

oh yeah - Rack mountable please. Fan on board - defeatable though... configurable power 25/50/200 would be mighty nice... 40 to 45 lbs ...

Cloning a B-15 ? an SVT ? How boring... you can buy a used SVT for relative peanuts ... $600 will get you a pristine V4... B15 - there's mojo in the cab and speaker - that was the whole package - not sure if cloning that makes a lot of sense today... a Marshall bass amp ? Saints preserve us ... they could invest their time in creating a new classic... like the design above. Refer back but look to the future ...

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    You will not see them design an amp from the ground up. They only clone others amps. One could send them a design and they would probably build it.

8. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    I like options to mix and match.

Rack mount SVT preamp. Able to dial in most Ampeg tones.
    Rack mount Showman preamp. Able to dial in classic Fender and Mesa tones.
    Rack mount SVT power amp. For those that feel the need for 300W.
    Rack mount 150-200W power amp. For those with more modest needs.

9. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    You make some good points, but what you want is so specific. You should just ask one of these boutique builders to build a one-off. I hear Fargen will do that for bassists sometimes.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I don't really believe that what the bass world needs is an entirely retro - amp. Bass gear has been getting better - not worse... and I'm a super traditional J or P guy doing alt-country, rock 'a billy, surf, etc ... If someone is going to bother doing an amp like a Showman - they ought to at least make some sensible improvements ... a 200 watt tube amp is giggable, an 80 watt tube amp is not (at least not for me...).

Guitarists chase the Tweed thing hard. The Tweed Deluxe is one of their Holy Grail amps. .. And there aren't many of those available - so you get the clone market going. Name a really, really good old Bass Amp - one that you could gig with today - right - keep thinking ... not much worth talking about until you get to the SVT ... and SVT's of various stripes like the CL sell for a grand about 7 days a week in the used market - so where is the incentive to go Ceriatone for bassists.

If Ceriatone really wants a piece of the bass market - they are going to have to innovate to get that ... just cloning what is already plentifully available would be a waste of their time and money ...

I actually think the amp I described above would have a decent market potential... if it were $800 to $1000 street price. The YBA-200/Peavey V2 (?) price point.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    30w should be enough for anybody ;)

I would like to see a 300w amp mated with a B-15 preamp. That would be the goods!

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

actually 22 watts is plenty ... for my guitar amp...:D given my guitar playing, 12 would probaly be better according to some folks!