1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If We Were Allocated a Bass Depending on our Ability What Would Yours Be

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by namraj, Sep 6, 2008.

1. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    I thought this might be fun.

If some how we were allocated a bass due to our ability rather than buying a bass with money earned usually elsewhere, what bass do you think you would be allocated.

for me I think it would be a Warwick Streamer LX - mid priced high end factory made bass, not two flashy but with a lot style and originality.

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I'd still be a Dingwall guy. Maybe not the Prima Artist (how humble ;)) model but the Afterburner II (AB II).

I am NOT the basic bass player (nothing wrong with that, maybe it's by far better and more appealing to the non-bass-playing bandmates who are bass-unappreciative) still I am solid and supportive with many extreme stretchings both technique-wise as well as musical tastes.

This translates as:
    not your basic bass player = fanned frets
    Solid and supportive = great tone and ergonomics, active/passive
    Extreme stretchings = balanced tension and even tone all over from low A (detuner on the B string) to high C, great playability for all styles
    Not perfect technique (plus many styles and things I'm still trying to master) = AB II (normal model able to be tweaked to a custom level) and NOT Prima Artist

:D:D:D

PS I forgot to add FLASHY (which the AB II is as well). Being flashy has nothing to do with music taste or abilities but sometimes it immensely helps a lot with individuals of the other sex :bag::bag::bag:

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Mine would be a cigar box with rubber bands for strings and a Yardstick neck and that would be better than I should have.

4. based on my ability...I would be awarded...

a fishing rod...:D

5. wal mart special....

luckily i can afford a lil nicer : )

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Probably an SX P-Bass, workhorse, plain and simple.

7. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    i'd be given a fender stratocaster.

8. HugoM

HugoM

Jul 3, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    If I'm lousy, something like a short scale Alembic as I'll need all the help I can get.

If I'm great, it won't matter as I'll make anything sound good.

:bassist:

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    If I understood correctly the OP it's about choosing a bass based on our level of abilities, not about the help an instrument can provide. And I think it's a fun thread too. So probably you need to choose a bass at the level on your subjective abilities

PS I am no moderator and I am sorry if anyone takes it any other way. I think it's a fun thread and I'm trying to help in that aspect ;)

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I nearly fell off my chair laughing!!!

11. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Something below Squier Affinity P-bass

12. HugoM

HugoM

Jul 3, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Sorry, I didn't intend to take the fun out. I interpreted "if some how we were allocated a bass . . . " to mean that someone other than myself would be allocating me a bass.

It seemed logical (I find logic fun) that the weaker players should get the better bass.

Then again, this wouldn't be the first time I've missed the point.

As for me? Some time ago I allocated myself a short-scale Gibson SG as I can use help... I'm satisfied... but for the sake of experimentation, I just placed an order for a short-scale fretless SX.

13. HugoM

HugoM

Jul 3, 2008
    Miami, Florida
  14. BigDaddyO

BigDaddyO Rockin' Ruben

Sep 23, 2007
    Silvertone ;)

15. one of those ebay listed reproduction basses posted right below all your comments.

16. MHLakland

MHLakland Registered Bass Nut

Aug 13, 2008
    Florida
    Wash Tub, Broom Handle, and one long string.

Sorta like this :smug: The video had me laughing the first time I ever saw it.

17. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    An old USA Peavey. Just about anyone would just do me fine :hyper:

At this point in my life playing is just for fun and the only reason that I have nice gear is that I can afford to have a hobby. If I had no money than my Peavey T40, my Acoustic 140 (that I can't believe that I got rid off:crying:) and any nice cab would do.

18. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I think I would be given a Warwick Corvette Standard - something which isn't your average bass, and isn't amazing and brilliant, but is nowhere near a pile of **** either. Or maybe something similar, like a Cirrus - something which is really good build quality, and has a good sound, but isn't totally unique and amazing

Oddly enough, that is all I can afford at the moment...