If you already had a Stingray 4....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamHD, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    If you already had a Stingray 4, What would you get as a second, alternative bass?

I'm actually toying with the idea of moving to a 5-string since I'm currenlty in a pressed learning stage. (Taking lessons, and trying to prove myself in an already estabilished band)

What would you suggest? I'm thinking maybe adding a 5-string J or P, or since I already have the Stingray 4, would I be more comfortable moving to a Stingray 5?

What's your opinion (or experience in this matter).

Also, does Fender make a '75 (reissue) in 5-string?

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I had a Stingray 4 and a Sterling 4. The electronics are different. If you are after the StingRay sound, I have been told you will not get it out of the StingRay 5. The 5 has the Sterling electronics.
  3. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks for the reply irie. I do like the sound of the Stingray 4, but I guess if adding a second bass I'd probably want to add some variety to the sound as well. I've heard some live local bands around my area who play Fender J and Fender P basses, and I like them both.... I think I'm leaning towards a P bass, but I've heard some J's with some really cools sounds - I guess it also depends on the player and the rack/speaker, etc...

Just not sure if having a Stingray 4 + a Fender 4 (or 5) P would make more sense (as far as sound variation) than to have a Stingray 4 + a Fender J....
  4. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    My primary bass is a SR5 with piezo - I looked at several 5s for a backup/alternate bass and went with lakland 55-01. It gives me the sound and tones I can't get with the SR5 and was under 800.00. - It depends on the sound and feel you want. Some of the jazz type 4 and 5s I also was able to A/B - KSD , all the lakland skylines , and the newer Fender jazzes and spectors . All very good basses as backups and primary basses
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd say that this is the wrong time to be messing with 5 strings, or new basses at all. Likely, the band likes the way you sound on your Ray or they would not have hired you. Now is the time to go deeper on the bass you have, Stingray 4s are great basses.

If the tone is somehow wrong for the music you could conider switching to another 4 ... but unless you just HAVE to have rumbling low notes, don't mess with it right now!
  6. Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    get a fretless Jazz-type bass?
    a fretless stingray with piezo is great too.
  7. SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Great advice everyone, thanks again.

Pickles, you might be right on. I should probably should just focus on what I have right now, because really, so far so good. I just think (could just be me though) that I could use a different tone (more "cottony") sometimes.

I have a cheap-o GTX-200 passive P&J bass that sounds a lot different than my Stringray, but I hate the fact that is a long scale and when I switch between the two, the frets seem to be located in completely different places. For example fret 7 on my Stingray feels as if its located in the same spot as fret 9 on my GTX.... could be just my inexperience, but it really throws me off.
  8. SamHD, I would say get a 5 string, either a Bongo 5 or a Cirrus 5 so you'll be ready for any gig.

The Bongo will get you the Stingray tone, plus a lot more. I don't own one now, but plan on getting one. They're extremely versatile.

The Peavey Cirrus (4 or 5) will give you a convincing P-bass tone, plus modern tones that sound very different than Stingrays, Sterlings or Bongos. Very comfortable to play.

I own a Cirrus 5 and love it. :cool:

Good luck.

Mike ;)
  9. Get a 5 string Bongo...
  10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Resist Sam, resist!!! Go to the woodshed not the music store!!! ;)
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Spector Rebop 5 and an Stingray.

I find that, for some reason, the Spector 5 neck seems like a logical expansion/extension of the SR4 neck.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always felt Fenders were the antithesis of the Stingray, although very similar. They retain a similar feel but tonally polar sounds.
  13. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    fretless singray 5's are killer! By the way are there fretless bongo's yet.

Ny dream EB bass would be a fretless six string bongo, but probably wont happen :smug:
  14. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
  15. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004

Whatever you do, make sure you get two pickups if you want more than one sound. One of the things I've always disliked about the Fender P was that it had only one sound. A great sound, mind you, but only one. That's why I went to a Jazz (I own three of them). I found I could get the PBass sound (with the neck pickup), get that Jaco tone (bridge pickup) and everything in between (both pickups, blended as appropriate). Worst thing you could do, IMHO, is get a one pickup bass (without coil tapping, piezo, etc.). The physical location of the pickup allows you more tonal options, hence, the more pickups (two) you have, the more options you have.

I'm seriously considering picking up a two pickup Bongo. Everyone here has been raving about them (and Sadowskys!). You might want to look at a Bongo as well, looks be damned.

My two cents,

16. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you are playing original rock tunes, have only one sound can be a great blessing. Especially if that sound is very good and fits the music perfectly. Just focus on the music. Last time I played originals, it was all P bass all the time.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you're looking for a Fender 5, go with a American Jazz Deluxe (QMT if you can), or a Roscoe Beck V.
  18. G&L L2500?

Cheers Rody
  19. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I've definitely found big differences in live vs recording needs. While my SR4 and Elrick GS5 are my two live basses, for recording nothing sits in the mix as perfectly (including the '65 Jazz) as my Cote Jazz (Bp/u Aero MP181 prototype, Np/u Lindy Fralin).