If you are going to play country music...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Then play country music.

We need to knock off this "Pop-Country" crap right now. I'm getting sick of all this "Save a horse ride a cowboy" crap...

Since when is Country allowed to even attempt to be catchy? I come home from school and my mom and my sister have CMT on and are singing along to that stupid "Redneck Woman" song.

Stop it.

Country needs to go back to the roots... like... When the bass played root, 5th in quarter notes... And the guitar did simple melodic arpeggios.

This new bastardized "country" sucks.

2. How boring. :meh:

Some pop-country is good.

Namely the Dixie Chicks.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Obviously there are cultural differences, here in Australia there is a big sign at the airports that says:

"If you are going to play country music......don't!"

4. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    It's been happening to every other form of music, why should country get a pass?
  5. Elite Editing Skills Only. :cool:

*bows down*
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you are going to listen to country music... listen to Lyle Lovett.
  7. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Man I love all these cowboys out here. All these wannabe's ride around in their lifted f 250's with their cowboy hats poppin out doggin you like this is Texas and they're carrying heat or something. Mike Money... leave your mom & sis alone, "Redneck Woman" is a rad song I sing along to it all the time. Especially when I'm at Rockin' Rodeo with my girlfriend Courtney. Now if you'll excuse me I must go wash my little clear-tailighted s10 with the Famous stars & stripes logo & krazy kustoms stickers on the rear window. Krazy Kustoms is so awesome with their cool maltese cross logo. Bakersfield is so RADDDD!!!!!! Eh, it's better than the Valley.
  8. +1

Muy clever. :D
  9. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Probably since the rest of the music buying world told them to shut up and quit complaining.
  10. let's face it...music sucks.
  11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I would think that, as a bass player (and I will assume you are by being here), you would appreciate pop-country (whatever that may be) because of the incredible bass tones that inhabit those recordings. I used to hate country because the production values always seemed so lackluster, but now. . . . wow! It is obvious that you want to take your frustrations out on two artists, Gretchen Wilson and Big & Rich. Have you listened to Big & Rich? They are brilliant! They melded country with just about every other musical genre there is, including rap and dance. Their music is creative and fun. And, it goes beyond the typical lamentations about Mama running over the dog in her pickup on the way to get Pa out of jail. Modern country is a breath of fresh air in a stale musical environment.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I kinda gotta hand it to Big & Rich, who do the "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" song. They're managing to be subversive and mainstream all at once. Heck, if you can cheese off Mike Money *and* the Nashville traditionalist types at the same time, you gotta be doing something right!

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, this new/young/pop country is just horrendous. It's like they took the worst qualities of country and rock and put them in a blender to make a fecal smoothie.
  14. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Complaining about the state of mainstream country music is about like lamenting that pro wrestling has taken a turn for the worse. Hey, I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy either, just don't take it too seriously, by golly! BTW, there is plenty of absolutely great music to be found in the "alt country" and "Americana" underground.

15. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Thank you, thank you. :D
  16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Whoa, Bassic83, politics are for the Lobby! But as a liberal Texan who happens to be playing in a country band at the moment, I will throw this in, especially since MM originally cited Big & Rich in his original complaint. There is a group that is making a real effort to call out some of the ugly aspects of southern/country culture, and doing it from *inside* the mainstream of the genre. That's laudable in my book. The fact that they have a strong sense of irony and self-deprecation in their work helps, too. That doesn't mean you'll ever catch me at a B&R concert (we were supposed to open for them in Odessa but they cancelled), but I do respect that aspect of what they're doing, for sure...
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I think Country Music has gone uptown. It is now "City Folk Country Music". Or, "Stadium Country" music.

Yeah, I miss the old whisky-drinkin', beer gluggin', divorcin', cheatin', no good louse bad woman, man, husband, ex-wife, ex-mother in law, ole' dog, just bailed outta jail 'bacca chewin' cousin's brother Billy style country music.

Those were the days.
  19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Go away.
  20. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Don't forget cocaine-addled cold-blooded killers.

Funny, old-style country was both the emo and rap of its day.