If you are out of school and bored -- read this before posting a thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Jun 4, 2009.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hello fellow TB'r. Congratulations. You've made it through another school year. Good job. All that time you spent studying, and or not studying is behind you, at least for awhile, and now you find yourself sighing a sigh of relief. You've now got time on your hands. This is more than likely why you've ended up here, because you're a bass player and TB is full of cool bass stuff. Another thing that might be on your mind is chicks. Since it's summertime, the chicks that you went to school with are also out of school, and since it's sunny and warm, they're probably wearing a lot less clothing than you're used to seeing. Stay calm. This is normal.

Since they're wearing less clothing, you might be overwhelmed with the urge to talk to them more, hang out, and generally spend more time pretending to be interested in their drama, in hopes that you might get to see them wearing even less clothing, or better yet no clothes whatsoever. Again. This is normal.

While it may seem important and life-threatening and crucial your interactions with these chicks are not of our concern. Generally, we don't care, unless you post a picture of them, then we shape them into whatever we want in our heads and take them home to use it (uh, did I just type that out loud :eek:), I mean, uh then we care just a little bit more, but not really.

While on TB, especially in OT, you will encounter wisdom beyond your years. It's an amazing thing that sometimes ventures into the absurd. You may be tempted to post a thread about the things on your mind. In your infinite wisdom, you may even think it clever to post a thread seeking the advice of this wisdom. This is where you need to check yourself.

Chick threads
    If it is a thread about chick that you like, or a chick that is a friend, that you want to be more than a friend, but you can't understand her because she's insane and giving you mixed-signals but she's so hot, but you don't know if you she likes you likes you or just likes you then don't post it. This time of year (summer) this place is overrun with these types of threads. Patience wears thin, and eventually you become "that guy". The dude that posted another one of those stupid chick threads. Instead, do a search. See if there have been other dudes in your position and what kind of advice did they get. More than likely, there will be answers there.

How to ask a chick out threads?
    As funny and epic as many of these threads are, if you are not well known in these parts, your thread will more than likely fall flat on its face. In the end, this is something (despite the not so wise wisdom of a TB'r name Yngie4String) you'll have to figure out for yourself. Everyone does. Do a search and you might find some wisdom. If you come across the Yngie4String dating guide, pretty much disregard it as useless and it might be wise to consider doing everything opposite of the not so wise wisdom dispelled by it's author. If you come across Maki's Two Cent threads, you might find that the advice dispelled works, but it might force to you into some uncomfortable realizations about yourself and your place in this world. You're welcome.

Video Game Threads?
    Besides cheat codes, whether it's cool or not, what's really left to discuss. It's a bunch of dudes staring into a box, perhaps geeking out with headsets, and jerking their fingers, thumbs and hands up and down for hours on end. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of video games, but I don't really enjoy talking about them that much unless there's something exceptional about it.

Fail Threads
    Fails are funny. Everyone fails at some point in time. Just make sure your fail makes sense and it is truly a fail, and the same goes for win. If you're not sure if you're actions are fail or win, don't worry, people will tell you.

Chicks are confusing
    See above regarding chick threads. This is not a different idea. Yes they are. It doesn't get any better.

Chick advice
    If you think that your advice will be taken seriously, when you're still a kid living with your folks, then think again. Think really really hard about it. It will not. Others have tried and their fails were so epic some have been filed in the legendary TB hall of fame. Don't be "that guy".

Parents suck
    Do not start a thread about how your parents suck. Not everyone here is like you. In fact many people here are parents. You will get no sympathy and a bunch of waaaah pictures. Even if you did get sympathy. Then what? You going to start an Emo thread? You going to cry? :eyebrow:

Sense - Your thread makes none - an addendum
    Generally speaking, a thread is meant to invoke a discussion of sorts. A kind of back and forth usually sparked by a question, or a questionable situation that might require advice, or an outside opinion. If you are going to start a thread, please have it make sense. Case in point. If you're going to talk about a giant leviathan fail, then there has to be some kind of mention of a mistake, or something stupid that you did other than post a thread that makes no sense. No one wants to here about how you woke up facebooked, brushed your teeth, slapped harder than flea, and found you were late for work if it has NOTHING to do with anything whatsoever. Part of your brain's job is to decipher what's important and relevant and what is not. If you're not going to use your brain in other aspects of your life, at least use it as a filter in this aspect so you can spare us all the headache.

There are many other threads that you might think would be good, but more than likely someone has already thought about it. Sucks huh? Here you are thinking you have original thoughts, but then it turns out you're just average and someone has already thought about it before you. Yeah, you can look at it that way, or you can look at it as a time saver. Somebody has already gone through the trouble posting a thread on how to play like Flea, Les Claypool, Jason Newstead, or how to scream while playing death metal.

If you are a young lady venturing onto TB. Welcome. Some of this advice, may or may not apply to you, please swap the word chick with dude before thinking about your thread. It may or may not help you before posting a thread that we've all seen before.

I hope this helps. Moral of the story, think, search, think again, and then go outside and talk to a chick rather than start a thread about the chick you want to talk to. Enjoy your summer.

- MakiSupaStar

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yeah. I'll just plus 1 this nugget of wisdom :)

+1

ah there we go.

MJ5150 likes this.
  3. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    LOL! So true. Good advice Maki.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think you should add that any such thread mentioned above that is created, is subject to be overloaded by random pictures by people who don't give a crap.

*i.e.*

image012-1.jpg

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    My girlfriend confused my sucky parents about this video game she was explaining.

47th Street likes this.
  6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Great blend of sarcasm and wisdom; the obvious and the obtuse. Great read. Synopsis: "Man up dood!"

7. We'll just call these "The Maki Rules", and sticky them, ok?

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    In my first bit of Maki Arse Kissing...I'm posting a link to this thread in my sig. If I could quote sig the entire post...I would.

9. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    This still doesn't answer witch is the best SX for metal??

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Don't forget Friend Zone and how to stay out of it threads.

11. ^and how do I "LOOSE" some weight?

Is it just me or is "lose" the most misspelled word on TB?

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Also; I'd do a bit on proofreading your posts. **cough cough**

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great advice.

Believe me, this is the last place I'd ask about girls... unless they're Asian.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Friend zone threads are covered in the chick thread part.

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Got it.

16. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Maki,that was almost as good as this:

[​IMG]

17. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    ^^^that **** get's me everytime^^^

OUCH,...my pleurisy...

18. Shut up, I've still got my last round of exams to do. :spit:

19. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

agree .

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    where's the golf clap emoticon again? Well done...well done.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021