1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you ARE using a PA at your rehearsal spot with 2 loud guitars,what PA are u using?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Sure it been asked a million times - "what PA is good for a two guitar player hard rock/metal band" etc etc- but I am wondering if you ARE actually using a PA at your rehearsal space and play rock music in a band that has say, two guitars, bass, drums, singer, what PA or mixer/speaker setup are you using?

My band would be in the market for a PA and I would say the budget would be $1,500. This would only be used in our rehearsal space and not for gigs etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

PS - I did notice the top of the line Carvin PA is not even $1,500 and I think I saw a Yamaha mixer/JBL speaker package on MF for about $1500.

Thanks!

2. Hi.

Old band:

Peavey 15" bottoms upgraded with Eminence drivers, Bose 802 tops with Behringer EP2500 & IIRC QSC 1kW:ish amp.

The project:

TL505 + Electro Sound (Russian) 18"+12"+2*1" tops, fed by whatever rack amps I may have at any particular time.
    HEAVY AS HELL, but it's mine, all mine ;).

The new band:

Celestion subs, Peavey tops. QSC & Studiomaster amps.
    Don't know much about that rig, have used it two times.

Those are (were) the same as the main FOH for the respective bands.

Regards
    Sam

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm using the top of the line Carvin rack PA mixer, and do practice, it's way more than enough.
    Granted, I'm sending it into 2 dual 15" cabinets and a powered sub, plus monitors.
    But no one ever complains they can't hear!!

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Cast-offs....Peavey or Yorkie integrated PA head (maybe 300 watts), busted up Peavey or Yamaha mains. We don't throw anything out. Net worth: 'bout a buck two-eighty. We leave the garage rehearsal space unlocked in hopes that somebody steals the stuff. Someone did break in but left us a note asking "...you're kidding, right?!?".

Riis

5. Thanks all. A top notch Carvin package may be a good way to go I guess, can always add the floor monitors etc after.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For rehearsals I use a few of the powered wedges we use on stage; everyone's finally used to the way they sound! Keyboards and vocal mics are plugged directly into the back of the speaker enclosure. Everything else is acoustic. No mixer. Five minutes to set up and tear down.

I often record rehearsals using a small Edirol digital recorder. Works really well; extraordinary sound quality from something so small and convenient. I bought an eight-channel headphone amplifier that we use when we want to listen to recordings, and would rather use cans than loudspeakers. Convenient when we're working out arrangements - whoever wants to listen puts on a pair of cans, and no one else is bothered.