1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you could be a Tortured Rock Star (tm), who would it be?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 6, 2006.

1. I sometimes joke to people that I wish I could be Morrissey, minus the whole part about having been molested as a child and sexually confused ever after. I have a voice somewhere approximating his--gimme a few cases of pomade and a better falsetto and I could definitely front a Smiths tribute band--but I would just kill to have that kind of command of language. It would almost make being a mopey killjoy worthwhile. :p

Given the chance, and what we know about various stars' public personae, who would you become? I'm not talking about well-adjusted (if phallomaniacal) types like Gene Simmons and Mick Jagger; I'm talking about the guys who invariably have substance abuse or mental health problems but whose aesthetic perspectives are utterly unique. Someone like Trent Reznor, Kurt Cobain, John Frusciante--hell, even Jaco, who was as close to a rock star as jazz fusion was ever gonna get.

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My favourite tortured rock star would definitely be Phil Collins with electrodes attached to his bollocks.

But I wouldn't actually want to be him.

3. :D :D :D :D :D

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm pretty much all the Tortured Rock Star I can handle....

well without the moneys and the fame and the utterly unique talents & perspectives :meh:

:crying:

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'll go with John Frusciante... he seems to have pulled through most of it at this point. While the others mentioned are dead, molested or bi*

*not that that's a wrong choice for everyone, just not appealing to me.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

This thread brings to my mind what I've always thought and felt about Eddie Van Halen. I admire that guy so much as a musician. He's the biggest guitar genius on earth to me. It's a shame that his life has been consumed by so many years of alcohol and nicotine. I'd love to be him minus his dark side.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd be Peter McFerrin.

8. To an extent, but he is still badly schizophrenic, and probably not terribly well-medicated. It was incredible to hear him talking about his behaviors on Steve Jones' radio show a while back; it was quite nonchalant.

He's over the horse, but the voices are still very much in his head. :(

9. [​IMG]

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I had the feeling he was a littel different but I really didint know he was clinical.

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Syd Barrett.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Pink from The Wall. I guess that would really mean I want to be Roger Waters. Ooooh, creepy!

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I believe that was also Syd Barrett, as the concept of The Wall was his descent into schizophrenia, I believe.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Alright, I'll stick with Waters though. He has his own issues.

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Michael Hutchence, INXS

16. Marky Mark.:D

Rock on
    Eric

17. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Trent Reznor.

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Glenn Gould, John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison.

19. I came here to post Morrissey. :(

You were expecting that, though.

20. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Cobain blew his face off because he realized he was too untouchable for somebody to help him get away from Courtney.

That's pretty tortured. Although ... I'm kinda attached to my head.