1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could have a custom built, which one would it be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jgroh, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This is strictly hypothetical at this point, but at some point in the future I am going to have a nice expensive custom bass built...that said...

If you could build a custom bass, which would it be an why? Let say, in the price range of $4K-$8K.

Me...I play mainly a Jazz and love the feel and growly tone, but ideally there are things I would like to add to the sound. Like a bigger, smoother bottom end. I have always loved the Wal sound. Maybe Wals will be back in production with a new luthier by the time I am ready? :hyper:

Oh, and when I talk about Wal tone, I mean Power Windows Geddy, not Tool (I can get close enough on my Jazz without the price tag)

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If somebody gave me that kind of money, I'd likely order an Fbass AC6 or BN6.

[​IMG]

but maybe in this finish:

[​IMG]

3. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sweet...one thing I probably should have also asked is how does the custom you want sound? Like I said, I like the Wal tone...

Is it growly midrange, deep bottom and sparkling highs? Etc? I am trying to get a feel of what some of these customs sound like...they all look awesome.

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I'd have a Rob Allen MB2 sixer or a Chambered Fretless MTD 635.

The MB2 has a real old school woody tone and can do a creditable upright sound and the MTD is modern piano like sound to the core. Ideally I'd have both.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    same thing I did 2 years ago
    http://www.myselfalone.com/bee.htm

:smug:

20071227-fretted7-04.

6. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thats a sweet bass right there! Its got about 3 too many strings for me though :D

7. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Given your location in Pennsylvania, I would seriously consider Ken Smith. You could work with him directly, he builds killer basses (a couple of friends of mine play them) and by working directly with him you could get EXACTLY what you want. I am personally partial to Fodera, but I live in NJ and they are in Brooklyn. By working directly with a quality Custom Shop you can dial-in what you want so much better. After all, what is the point of spending $4,000+ if the bass you end up with is not EXACTLY what you want?

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks...

nothing wrong with 4 string basses, I've got one of those too :)

9. Bhuti

Bhuti

May 9, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Warehouse/Shop Asst. & endorsing artist of Warwick Basses
    A second Ramirez.

10. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    When you guys that had customs made, how did the process go? I mean, did you walk in and say...I like a certain type of body shape and here it the tone I am after, etc?

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    LeCompte
    [​IMG]

many neato designs

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Most builders already have a specific model or models that they build from. There are a few small shop builders that will make you a bass completely from your design, but most of the well know luthiers have a unique design that is all their own. With some of the legends like Mike Tobias, you can tell him what tone you are after and he will recommend what he feels are the appropriate wood combo's to get that tone from one of his basses.

13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I have already reserved my seat in the queue.

I have ordered my Artist Prima Dingwall 5 string, tuned to my ideas. I say ideas and not needs, cause my needs are being well served by my herd

14. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    For me the look of the bass is not as important as the tone. As long as its the tone I want, it could look like a milk carton for all I care.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    For me it has to be an equal combination of tone, playability, and aesthetics for me to be completely happy with a bass. But maybe that is just me.

16. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    -A salmon pink Sadowsky Ultra Vintage Jazz,
    -a Fodera Monarch Deluxe with a walnut top,
    -a Fender custom shop '66 Jazz in gold,
    -and a Rob Allen Mouse with a figured koa top.

17. ChemicalFire

ChemicalFire

Dec 10, 2007
    This sexy ritter
    [​IMG]

18. a warwick thumb 4 string, 35" scale, wenge/bubinga neck, bubinga body, schaller 3d bridge, and glockenklang 3 way pre-amp.

19. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Like James Hart, I'd head straight for Fred Bolton, and have me a Thunderbee built according to my specifications. I've priced it at maybe $4200-4500 depending on wood availability and some cosmetic touches. Of course, I don't have anything like that kind of money, but that's not a problem when dreams are free.