1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could have one famous bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Sep 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Great pic. Who dat ?

This one.

2. crabfunk

crabfunk

Feb 22, 2017
    Tough call, but I'd say Steve Harris' West Ham Precision.

6thplanet likes this.
  3. FenderBassist

FenderBassist Old School Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    The Precision Bass that Bruce Thomas bought when he went on tour with the Attractions for Elvis Costello.

The ‘Salmon Pink’ Myth | Bruce Thomas

Quote: "When I bought the used Fender bass that I went on to use with the Attractions, it was in a sorry state — stripped back to the bare wood and fitted with a white pickguard. I bought a tortoiseshell replacement plate and then took the bass to Andy’s Guitar Shop in Denmark Street, in London, and asked him to respray it. I distinctly remember asking him to do it ‘Salmon Pink’ … a term I’ve always used for faded Fiesta Red. So, if I’ve unwittingly added to the myth of Salmon Pink, then good … because I’ve now made it the official colour of my new signature model Profile Bass."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 3:21 PM
  4. The Schu

The Schu

Aug 28, 2017
    Ronnie Lane’s handmade bass by Tony Zemaitis, used with The Faces around 1971 to 1973, when Lane quit the band making his last public appearance on June 4, 1973 at the Sundown Theatre in Edmonton, London. Both the man, and the bass are one of a kind. “Plonk” may you R.I.P. Ronnie-Lane.

chuckNC and GeorgeBassPlay like this.
  5. Stugilliam

Stugilliam

Apr 28, 2016
    Eastern CT
    And, lets be greedy, I really want his amps! I ran the same setup in the 70's, I WANT THEM BACK!!!

The Schu likes this.
  6. The Schu

The Schu

Aug 28, 2017
    Those look like Acoustic bass amps?!@#$!? Had the pleasure of playing out of those in the early '70's. I liked 'em too, but went AMPEG soon after.

Stugilliam likes this.
  7. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    1. Leon Wilkeson's early Thunderbird
    2. Phil Lesh's early Alembic.

8. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Jun 8, 2008
    I always wanted John Entwistle's black Fenderbird with the white pg and maple P neck.

Rafar, LoveJackBruce and Miles_ONeal like this.
  9. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    What does the 68 stand for?

10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    As a Carl Thompson freak, it is surprising to me that I wouldnt go after any of Les' famed instruments...but if I had to pick just one, it'd be Phil Lesh's tricked out Alembic...edit...I mean Phil Lesh's Starfire that was tricked out by Alembic.

[​IMG]

11. LoveJackBruce

LoveJackBruce

Apr 8, 2018

12. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Easy - Lemmy's Ric.

13. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I don't think that you saw John Entwistle with an Alembic Explorer in 1968. Alembic only started producing basses in 1972.

14. 6thplanet

6thplanet

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    12 pages and only 2 votes for P's of Steve Harris ownership. I'll make that 3. Heck even the Lado Unicorn would be bad ass!!

15. And I'd be able to continue playing on it, doubtless adding to its value...

LoveJackBruce likes this.
  16. Fathand

Fathand 21st Century Distortion Man Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Either one of Lemmy's Rics, or this:
    [​IMG]

17. ...i agree 100%!!

Stugilliam and LoveJackBruce like this.
  18. LoveJackBruce

LoveJackBruce

Apr 8, 2018
    I was only 15. He was awesome whatever he played. At 67 I'm probably romanticizing about the bass played.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  19. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Easy question. It would be the bass that I made famous. That would pretty much solve the implied problem, too...

bassmike2010 likes this.
  20. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    Interesting? - despite lacking all the knobs and wiring, I think a stock Starfire with flats sounds not unlike the recordings of Jack Casady and Phil Lesh on the Alembic modded Starfires. !!

cosmicevan likes this.