1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could have one famous bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Sep 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Bobby Vega’s Shark Bass (‘61 stack knob Jazz)

BOOG likes this.
  2. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    FC8A0635-53FE-4CBA-B0C4-C716D7492EFC. Leo Lyons ‘62 Fender jazz bass, which he bought new. I saw him play it 8 months after he played the thing at Woodstock. At the end of the 1970 Vancouver Gardens set he and Alvin Lee both let their guitars drop to the floor, full volume on. Funny thing, my wife was at the same show, up front like me, but I would not meet her for another ten years. (ten years after)

This bass is actually for sale from Leo:
    leolyonsbass@gmail.com

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    bobyoung53, reddog, chuckNC and 6 others like this.
  3. Even though he admitted to hating it, I would give a kidney to have the red BC Rich Ironbird that Geezer played at Live Aid...

Attached Files:

06.jpg
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
    danesdad and 3rdworlder like this.
  4. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Justin Chancellor’s Wal. A Wal, or an active bass in general doesn’t fit the sound for my current project but hot damn. I’ve been listening to so much Tool lately I just want to jam out like Justin.

bassmike2010 and GDUBS like this.
  5. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    he had it before the rainbow bass. he actually played it on the sailing the seas of cheese album.

6. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014

Fuzzbass and flatwound62p like this.
  7. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Phil Lesh's Osage Orange bass...

68756699_2946349582046578_1827011270184796160_n-2.

8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    If Geezer Butler's Eagles are unavailable, I'll take this green thing that a dude named Darryl Jenifer played.
    fb2fcbf504bcdc6a4bbe6db5522e3bdc.

DanAdams and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  9. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    The Precision John Deacon played on the `Magic`tour. 549f71a7e3eb06d6bbbb32599b98c947.
    Live at Wembley has some iconic moments, and such a great bass sound too!

Peace,
    SoundSupport

10. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'm stuck on Les's rainbow bass right at the moment because its design inspired something I'm working on, but all of these as well!
    YES YES YES - holy crap that Shark has some mojo and stories aplenty.
    Also YES! (ha!) ...Wish I could afford the signature model Ric, let alone the real deal!

- I had one of these for a couple years. Amazing bass. As a player I was not and am not worthy of it, but damn was it sweet.

Another one in the same camp as the CS - Ric signature model itself is too dear and rare, let alone the OG.

peter nicholas likes this.
  11. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    Belgium
    Naaah, I'll just play my Ray ... 'M kinda grown to it...

12. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well.... if someone gave me $4000 and a ride to Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville, I'd walk out with at least one. Haha

Not necessarily because of who owned them, all respect and fandom due to Garry Tallent, but his Roscoe fretless is actually there and he played it like a boss and it sounds amazing even when I fumble with it. And there's a Fender P prototype in alternative woods in there somewhere I wouldn't mind owning, too.

Honestly, I'd feel odd about owning a bass that belonged to too "bass-legend-y" a bassist. That said, if someone handed me something Roger Waters played on, I'd play on it too. I really like Floyd. haha

13. Bruce has stated that his old "pink" P-Bass used with the Attractions was stolen in 1996. Someone out there has it.

14. They're not my alltime favorite bass guitars, as a matter of fact these are shorscalers but they're OH, SO COOL!

(By the way my tallest dream would be the 1979's Kramer DMZ 4001)

Anyway, 1st would be Gene Simmons' custom Gibson EB-3.

[​IMG]

And then Bill Wyman's 1976 Travis Bean:

[​IMG]

I'd be more than happy to have it but 1st I'd work the string height cause gawd it seems barely playable! wow.

[​IMG]

I like it natural wood, but in white one doesn't look shabby at all:

:)

15. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    An Ovation Magnum like Jah Wobble plays would be nice.
    Or a fretless version of that.
    [​IMG]

The Eccleshall Bass played by Peter Hook and Simon Gallup has always intrigued me as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I can imagine that I'm not happy with the weight of those.

Winky and 19sixty3 like this.
  16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    chuckNC, bassmike2010, ELG60 and 3 others like this.
  17. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    That is the same bass Herbie is talking about in the video. Herbie says he bought it in '59 for $70.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    bassmike2010, MegaSwing and ELG60 like this.
  18. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Any pre-CBS Fender Precision Bass ever touched or played by my favorite bassist.................Donald Duck Dunn.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    None of the above - respectfully. I f I had (for example) Chris Squire's or Jamerson's bass, people might come see me play, be expecting me to sound like Squire or Jamerson. And.....it'd be VERY obvious that the magic isn't in the instrument.

Robert Trujillo has the Bass of Doom. He's very good, granted, but no way he's gonna sound like Jaco just by putting on that bass.

20. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I don't want either of them, (have my own) but I'd love to play a couple tunes on McVie's Alembics...

johnmcvie-770.

...you know, just to say I did. :D