1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you could make any custom bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kerrsedbass, Apr 20, 2006.

1. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    There is kind of a story behind this one..

I decided to take a road trip up to Edison, NJ to go and look at New Jersey Guitar and Bass Center. I knew that had nice stuff, but MAN was I blown away. I was like a little kid in a candy store. I played my first Alembic, Stanley Clark, and Dingwall 5 string. And then I moved to a Tobias 6 string fretless and Zon 5 string. Anyway, I ended up picking up a Flea bass, by Modulus, and out of everything I played, this one hit home. I've played Flea basses before, but I never appreciated it like this one. I played one Quantum, a 25th anniversary black five string hollowbody, and I love the way the necks play, and I came to this decision.

I decided I want a hollowbody, flea style, with quantum 4 neck bass with an EMG 35 CS in the bridge position, and a 35TW in the neck position.

So here is my argument. I can do the body and pickups, but does anyone know if Modulus can make me a Quantum 4 neck, or where I can find a used Quantum 4 neck, because I like the headstock design, and the way it plays. If anyone knows where to find one, I would die to own it.

I'm already thinking of how much it would send me back.

2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Double-neck. Yamaha Attitude/piccolo Kubicki Ex-Factor.

Oh, the insanity.

3. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    To respond to the threadstarter, it says they make replacement necks on their website..

4. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    I know that they make J and P replacement necks, but they obviously have J and P specs. I'm looking for the 35" scale, 2+2 tiltback headstock, Quantum necks. The others are nice, but I like the look and feel of the Quantum more.

5. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Well here is a graphite neck company that does 35" scale, not sure about the other options, but it doesn't hurt to ask:
    http://www.mosesgraphite.com/

6. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    I was thinking moses, but I have heard many horror stories. I'm going to e-mail modulus, hopefully I'll get a reply.

7. id have an army of 70's jazz basses, all ash body with maple boards, all natural, some with black binding, some with white, some with lightwave pickusp some with 2x jazz pickups, some with a p pickup, some with a musicman pickup, 4 string 5 string

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i'd like an alder or maple 5 string jazz - 72ish - natural with black binding and either black or tortoiseshell pickguard, black block inlays on fretboard and a p/j config with chrome pup covers.

i'd especially like it to be affordable.

p.s. would tortoiseshell block inlays look lame?

9. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    If only Michael Manring's Zon Sonus/Hyperbass hybrid came in a 6er...

10. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    soon to be built: double neck 4/6
    neck-through on both necks
    perfect (hopefully) weight balance
    and anything else I think of while building it

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    From an appearance stand point, I'm quite fond of how the ziricote topped, Warwick Strykers look... but, I dont want a warwick neck profile, or electronics.

And, while were at it,, make it a 5 stringer & have the feel of a Lakland or an MTD.

12. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    hmm...
    jag body or grabber body
    quarter pound p pup
    mim p neck, or a 62' p neck like on the mike dirnt (i think thats what he has. either 62 or 57)
    maple board w/ black star inlays
    grabber headstock w/grabber or vintage fender tuners
    olympic white w/black pickguard (nitro finish)
    single vol. knob
    string thru body bridge of some sort (gotoh maybe or badass III)

ooohh gas!! i never put that much thought into it before, but it'll probably change tomorrow.

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i live 25 minutes from there! and i played that dingwall!

amazing, huh?

makes me want one bad.

anyway, if i could have a custom, well. itd b a 4 string stambaugh, with either 2 humbuckers or 2 j's. a nekc just like a ken smiths, with ebony board.

the bodyshape would either be modern and look like a dingwall, or a thunderbird copy.

and i'd prefer a vintage sunburst over swamp ash or alder.

14. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    That store is awesome! I loved the way the fanned fret idea felt. I would love to add that to my custom.

I haven't recieved any info from Modulus about a neck tho, but I'm still hopeful.

15. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.