If you could only have one guitar pedal ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Steve Freides, May 6, 2019.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I teach a bunch of things, including a lot of guitar. My background is in jazz and in classical, and I've never really gone down the rock 'n' roll road.

I have a 13-year-old student with chops, plays a nice American Fender Strat, and has a Fender modeling amp that does nearly everything one could ever wish for. But he has a problem - most of the time when he's at school, where he plays a lot, he has his own guitar but the school's generic amp.

So he's asked me if he would just buy a single pedal to get some of the sounds he likes, what would it be? And I don't have a clue. I'm pretty sure distortion is the most needed single effect, but I'm all ears here. If you were going to recommend a single pedal for your electric guitar, what would it be? And it can't be hugely expensive.

The idea here is that, although he can't keep his own amp at school, maybe he can keep a pedal, or stash it in his guitar case or his backpack.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

2. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I would think the zoom g3, or some other multieffect would be a good place to start. Compact and all the effects he'll need when away from home.

3. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Steve,

Check out this video. It will allow you and your student to hear a bunch of pedals compared. The Behringer pedals are super cheap and might allow him the opportunity to try a few.

For me: a great overdrive(tube screamer style) and a delay are necessary for rock/blues etc.

A great dual channel pedal is the Truetone Jekyll and Hyde. One channel overdrive and on channel distortion. This would be the “one” I’d prefer. Very versatile.

jleguy likes this.
  4. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Back when I was young and playing punk-rock music, we really enjoyed multi-effect pedal. I think it would be a great place to start since he wouldn't have to get a bunch of pedal and it would be easy to bring to school, if it's not a big one.

But also at 13, what can he afford? I remember going to every pawnshop in town and trying everything I could.

Zoom, Boss, DigiTech and many more have great product.
    Here is a list by a critic that has good idea.
    10 Best Multi Effect Pedals in 2019 [Buying Guide] - Music Critic

In the end I think a small pedal with 1 or 2 button and maybe an expression pedal would be the most versatile thing. Something like the Zoom G1 or Digitech Element Xp or RP55. As long as it doesn't break the bank and he enjoy it.

5. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Tube screamer

3rdworlder likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021