1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

If you could only use one brand of pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whero, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Here's an odd question that came out of a conversation this afternoon...

A friend of mine is a great rhythm guitarist. Due to [circumstances] he gave up playing for almost two decades, during which time he sold nearly all his gear. A couple of years ago [new circumstances] he got back into the music scene, but as a bass player. His band recently fell apart, and now he's switching back to rhythm.

I was jamming with him this afternoon and he was talking about all the gear he used to have (that he wishes he'd never sold) and he said something that surprised me: all his guitar pedals used to be Ibanez, and they don't make some of them any more, so there'll be some he probably can't get. If he doesn't like the new Ibanez version (e.g. a Phaser), he just won't have a Phaser at all.

That degree of brand loyalty surprised me. At least, I certainly don't have it. But it did start me thinking. Because you'd have to consider which effects were "must haves" for you, and the range and quality of pedals made by different manufacturers to fill your needs, but...

as a bass player, if you could only use one brand of pedal, what would it be?

DJ Bebop, 40Hz, McTred and 1 other person like this.
  2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I doubt it’s brand-loyalty as much as circuit-loyalty and I can relate- I stay away from Ibanez pedals due to the weird eq I remember my teenage ears hearing on those 90s plastic rocket ship component looking pedals they had out.

Gun to my head to swap my pedals for brand unity? Except for dirt, a TO wah, and a whammy, the rest of my boxes are mxr anyways.

If the rules can be bent out to Parent Brand Loyalty, Jim Dunlop is where I’d set my hat. I could swap the TO for a gzr95 and probably make a few Way Huge pedals get close enough to my rats and muffs.

Troy Eggen likes this.
  3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Seems like a crazy question to me. Hey ho I'll play...I could live with an all Eventide board, particularly three H9 max's and I'd be close to done. There's dirt, compression and all the other great stuff Eventide are known for. I probably could do the same with Strymon, although their compressor offerings are scant. I could easily live with an Electro Harmonix board..although that could be quite a large footprint. Source Audio...easily however, their compressor options are still in development and probably not available until the end of the year. But all their other pedals are amazing. The problem for me is that I'd still need a Midi controller as I'm all digital / midi. At the moment I'd need to go Boss for that...so I'd probably have to use Boss effects too, unless the looper / midi master isn't included in the "One brand" effects rule. I could easily go all Boss, but I generally prefer other brands sounds.

4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Broughton Audio

5. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    I’d “live” with whatever brand was available if I could only have one, but if I got to pick, 100% Broughton.

Evil_Druid likes this.
  6. Chamber

Chamber Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2011
    California
    Dunlop/MXR or JAM Pedals. Either would be fantastic, really. Hard choice.

maplebar and nuage420b like this.
  7. RabidMusic

RabidMusic Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Kentucky
    Either Boss or MXR, since I have 5 of each. I guess Boss since they have a more complete line.

bassproduction and nuage420b like this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    JHS or Broughton? Or maybe Walrus because they come with stickers.
    Or Electroharmonix because they make fun druggy effects.

BOOG and gh0st42 like this.
  9. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Had all MXR pedals minus a tuner at one point. That was awful.

Tech21 all day if I have to choose one brand.

10. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Boss

Hazeyhaze likes this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I couldn't do it. Every company makes good pedals, every company makes bad ones, and I have no desire to put up with a bad pedal or drop a type of pedal I love because a favored brand makes a bad version of it.

johnk_10, jerry, equill and 7 others like this.
  12. I do mxr pedals only. I don't use alot of stomp boxes but I've found mxr tone, quality, price, and size are excellent

13. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    probably, it would be Iron Ether or 3leaf audio.

gh0st42 likes this.
  14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I'd probably just go with Boss and "close enough".

wmmj and nuage420b like this.
  15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Zoom B3n does it for me. I also have a love affair with tech 21as well

TommyGunz likes this.
  16. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    If I had to use one brand only, I'd be using MXR pedals. I'm glad that's not the case though!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    For me it is easy to answer, because i use only 2 fx pedals - TCelectronic hall of fame mini reverb and Dunlop Cry baby bass wah. If i should choose, i would take Dunlop wah.

18. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    In particular order, MXR/Dunlop, JHS, Boss, Zoom

19. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    If I had to pick, it would be TC Electronic. Their selection is vast, the designs are solid and with many of their pedals toneprint-capable, very configurable.

20. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I have different brands of pedals, but if I had to choose just one, it would be either MXR or EHX.

guitarflinger likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021