1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could play bass in ANY band, who would it be?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tb-player, Apr 13, 2021.

Tags:
  1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Any band, past/present/future, needs a bass player and they want to give YOU the full-time gig. In your best life, who is that band? And why do you choose them to choose you?

2. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    The Yardbirds. The music they made defined my youth. Simple, catchy, tuneful, and avant-garde for their time.

3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    For me it would be one of two - neither of which am I qualified to pull off.

My immediate dream gig would be for Tiran Porter to ring me up to sub for him with the Doobie Brothers. Wouldn't want to replace him permanently because then I'd never hear him play with them again. (I know he's not with them anymore, but hey, it's a fantasy!)

The second would to have been able to replace Cetera in Chicago - before Terry Kath died.

dasherf17, dSay, MikeMig and 14 others like this.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Santana

5. Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Three. Same bass line on every song.:bassist:

6. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    For me, it’s probably the Dave Matthews Band. Great songs. Musically challenging. Phenomenal musicians. And those guys have fun. Stefan Lessard looks like he’s having the time of his life on bass, every time I’ve seen them. Their concerts are a big party. The crowd is always into the music.

From a technical standpoint, to be exposed to that level of musicianship, songwriting & composition would be an unparalleled educational experience. It would be a joy to watch Dave write songs... even better to collaborate with him.

Plus, to get to play alongside Carter Beauford would be a dream. He gives a bass player so much to work with, rhythmically.

And while DMB is not my all-time favorite band, and they’re not necessarily bass-centric, they're a true band. It would be cool to be a part of something like that. I think it would be a really great gig!

(Of course, if I became their bass player, Lessard wouldn’t be playing. So, like a similar comment above, I would never get to hear him play again. And my style is not exactly the same as his. So the sound of DMB might change over time. Then the fans would revolt and start a Twitter campaign to cancel me and bring Stefan Lessard back. That would suck. Maybe I’ll just stick to playing at home... sigh!)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  7. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    Spinal Tap

danesdad, equill, MynameisMe and 31 others like this.
  8. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    You’re gonna have to grow one heck of a mustache.

Oddly, dSay, Clever Moniker and 7 others like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The Who.

dSay, MynameisMe, bassb66 and 8 others like this.
  10. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Montana
    To pick out of a hat, Elton John.

11. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Toss up between Meshell Ndegeocello in the mid-‘90s and the Roots Radics.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Bad Brains

RSBBass, Mikey F, arbitrary and 3 others like this.
  13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Metallica!

just joking...

Blackberry Smoke is my answer.

14. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Bad Religion.

15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    The bizkit in 99

Lukasonbass likes this.
  16. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I mean it'd be hard not to say something like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. But those bands wouldn't be who they are without JPJ and RW respectively.

I'm no Geezer Butler either, but I'd probably pick Black Sabbath.

17. BassBlue

BassBlue Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Dire Straits.

18. dangevans

dangevans

Mar 26, 2014
    Blood Sweat and Tears before 1974-ish. Or "Chase" with Bill Chase.

The Owl, dSay, Clever Moniker and 6 others like this.
  19. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    I wouldn't purport to sully any name band with my talent (or lack thereof). About the only band I might could do any good is Complete.

smeet, Fretless1!, MYLOWFREQ and 6 others like this.
  20. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Oooh... First answer is always Weezer. Sound of my childhood, favorite band to this day. That being said, man wouldn't it be fun to play with Elvis Costello and the Attractions in the late 70s?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021