If you could save the life of one of today's greatest musicians, would you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basshole, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    11-time Grammy winning saxophonist Michael Brecker has been diagnosed with MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) and it's critical that he has a bone marrow or blood stem cell transplant. The initial search for a donor, including Michael’s siblings and children, has not resulted in a suitable match. In tribute to Michael, M-Audio will pay for the testing of as many people as possible at any National Marrow Donor Program center. Please read on for more information and specific details about getting tested. You will be signing up to save the life of anyone needing a transplant due to leukemia, lymphoma, MDS, sickle cell anemia, aplastic anemia and more.

Click here for more info, and to help:

I have recorded with Michael. In fact, I have hosted dinner for him at my home, and played network Doom with the guy. I only spent one day with him, but I consider him a friend. He is probably the most brilliant soloist alive today.

I cannot help, as I am on immunosuppressant drugs myself for my own health crisis.

For those of you who think you do not know him, I assure you that you have heard his playing all of your life, and just don't know it.

Michael IS modern saxophone. The man is a genius, and a legend. I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs.

Get well, Mike.
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Kudos to M-Audio, that's a very decent thing to do. I'm too young and in the wrong country but I really do hope that someone helps him out, I remember a similar appeal for a kid from my area, eventuallly they found someone, it was so great to see someone's life transformed.
  3. Apparently the best donor would be of his own ethnicity... what about his brother? I'm suprised they haven't found anyone to my knowledge. This is really depressing. :(
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I haven't donated blood for some time, because of the usual excuses. I'll go in and get tested...should have a while ago.

I probably won't be a match for him, but hope I am for someone else.

6. It really shouldn't matter if you know a guy or not, if you could save a life just do it. But yeah, wrong country,and I'm on drugs that would prolly preclude it anyway, but I pray he gets better.