if you could take lessons from anyone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by linebacker51, Nov 13, 2002.

1. who would it be?

i think i would take lessons from Victor Wooten because of the the many different styles he plays
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think Dave Holland - he seems such a nice guy, has worked with the "greats" like Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock etc and he plays both BG and DB, as well as writing excellent music! :)
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am very happy with my teacher, Baba Belafonte. But if I were to learn from another person the only two that I know I would be interested in would be Dann Glen and Steve Lawson.

It's more than respect for their talent. It's that I like them personally. That is a very important quality for a teacher, IMO.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Probably some "no name." Great artists are often poor teachers.
  5. i am also very satisfied with my teacher. i was just wondering who you would like to take lessons from and why. i can see many problems with egos and such.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  7. rickbass

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be smug. Entwistle is still my "bass god" but I think he would be a horrible teacher from what I have of him on instructional videos.

Maybe another of my bass heroes, Tim Bogert. He was an instructor at BIT with Jeff Berlin and has been very nice to me in emails.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Well I haven't had the privilege, but I think this is a bit of a generalisation - depends what you mean by "great"? I mean I can imagine some "rock stars" who would be too "out of their heads" to teach coherently - could still be fun though!! ;)

On the other hand, I have talked to people who have had lessons with "Jazz Greats" and have had nothing but good to say about the experience - so the reason I mentioned Dave Holand was that I know of a UK Cellist who studied with him and it was obviously a good experience for him.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I go for personality on equal terms with talent. It doesn't do any good if they are the best bass player in th world and you don't get along with them. OTOH you could have a bass player who is no better than yourself, that you got along with great, and both you and (s)he could learn a lot from each other.

Rick, I bet you would be a good teacher. I have appreciated your analysis of my various tunes that I have posted and you always have given me good ideas to try out.
  10. rickbass

I'll trade ya' Gabe for your writing and recording abiilities.
    You have so much creative talent, the balls to put your stuff in front of a very critical audience, you can make lower-end gear sound very good, and you have a great grip on getting the most out of decently priced recording technology.

I don't know that stuff much at all because I've been so spoiled by studios and pro sound companies in the past. I am literally awed by how you do do much with not-very-much.
  11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I think I would go with Matthew Garrison or Oscar Stagnaro.
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Almost Any bass teacher will be able to help me get better.

For a bass clinic per say, since John Entwhistle has assumed room temperature, I'd go with;

Stu Hamm
  13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hey Timbe

You know Oscar Lives in Braitree? gives lessons at berklee on saturdays?wants your money?Give him a call.

14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Really?! Well then, I'll have to make a phone call. Thanks for the info, AJ!
  15. agree with that from watching the JE bass masterclass video- very slow-moving video.

similarly my bass heroes are Simon Gallup of the Cure, JJ Burnel of the Stranglers and Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, but in a teaching situation I could imagine asking about a quirk in their playing technique and they'd say "I'd never thought about it".

I'd pick Billy Sheehan - I don't really like a lot of the music he's made, but I've learnt a lot from his instructional videos and articles- right or wrong, he's studied his own technique carefully to come up with his theories on playing.
  16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm with Gabu.

I wish I could get lessons from Dann Glenn.
  17. There are a lot of cats right here at Talkbass whose brains I'd like to pick. Among them (but not limited to):

FUQUASIMODO - DB/Theory/Debate
    JIMK - Vast encyclopaedic knowledge of everything under the sun. I'm sure he plays bass too.
    JAZZBO - Theory
    BRAD JOHNSON - With that arsenal of basses, he must know many things that I don't. (Same goes for a number of others, including NINO, & JT)
    YVON - This guy is 10 times more humble than he is good on the bass - AND HE"S DAMN GOOD ON THE BASS!

....and many more.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Several of the musicians in Brighton that I know, played with or know JJ Burnel very well and they have said to me, that he is very coherent about bass playing and definitley knows what he's doing.

I'm pretty sure he would be an interesting person to have a lesson with ;) - I don't know, but I'd probably agree with you about the others!
  19. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks! And this is exactly the kind of upbeat, encouraging personality I was talking about. ;)

If you ever want to fool around with PC recording, it's easy to do. I have about $100 into my recording / editing software. Most modern soundcards are sufficient. The number one secret for PC recording is to use good mics. When I switched from using radio shack, to using a SM57, things suddenly got a lot clearer. Also, a good mic captures the spirit and personality of your speakers, so IMO is better than a line out too.

You know, now that I am thinking of all this... I think it would be really cool to learn about live sound production too... so for that, I would like to have Spacegoat as a teacher.