1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could will into existence the most perfect bass for you, what would it be like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lunatique, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    Obviously, I could describe some crazy sci-fi bass with alien technology and able to morph into whatever form factor I want instantly (from upright to electric short scale!), but that's just way too unrealistic (though fun to imagine). So, more realistically, I would describe something that's probably doable with current technology:

• Can transform from fretted to fretless (this tech already exists) instantly.
    • Very flexible pickup system (like the Sims Super-Quad system) that can achieve any existing tone, but with the addition of the ability to slide the pickups to different positions on the body for maximum flexibility.
    • Very flexible onboard EQ with 4-bands and sweepable frequencies for all four bands, and the frequencies are labeled (or shown as tiny LED display somewhere on the bass).
    • One master volume, and then the blend/switches for the Super-Quad pickups system.
    • Awesome piezo pickups that can sound very close to upright and acoustic.
    • Neck that's never affected by weather/humidity and never needs to be re-setup once you dial in the ideal setting. Tung oil/satin type of finish that's comfortable to the touch, but will never get buffed to become shiny by your hands.
    • Great clarity on the B-string but not multi-scale. Prefer 34" scale.
    • Automatic tuning that doesn't require you to pluck the strings and is almost instant.
    • Very fast and comfortable neck with low-action and fret buzz.
    • No neck-dive and very light weight body (but not too light that it wouldn't stay put when you move around). Maybe 6.5 lbs. is about perfect.
    • Headless so there's no headstock/tuners to bump into stuff.
    • Ergonomic like the Torzal twisted necks, with tapered body edge for the forearm to rest against.
    • LED fret markings with customizable colors.
    • Digital finish (like on some concept cars) that can display any color/pattern/texture you want, but in very high resolution so it's indistinguishable from reality (other than the specularity of the material) This one is admittedly the most sci-fi one, so it's very unlikely.

Chickenwheels and mikewalker like this.
  2. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Black, preferably.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I always wanted one of those "laser-powered solar beam guitars."

4. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Equipped with strings that have adjustable "aging" if you will.

nnnnnn likes this.
  5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    It has Think-O-Tone. You wear a skull cap with electrodes. Whatever notes and tone you think of comes out the output jack, no matter what you are doing with your fingers. Freedom to enhance your visual show!

6. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    A Stingray with a reverse P pickup and a switchable humbucker- series/parallel/single coil.

7. A bass with FRIGGIN LASER BEAMS! attached to its head(stock.) :woot:

8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Pffft... electrodes are so 2019. The Think-O-Tone Bass of the 2020s will be completely wireless!

:)

9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    P-bass with tort and flats :rolleyes:

10. I'd like to have a Fender Meteora P/J noiseless short scale with a maple neck/fretboard, high end components, exemplary stainless steel 6105 fretwork, all of the bells and whistles and available in SEVERAL surfy colors.

Something as nice as an Ultra, but costs under $1,000. Is that even possible?

mikewalker likes this.
  11. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Sign me up for the Daphne Blue 24-fret version... :)

Doctor Morbius likes this.
  12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I "willed" this about 20 years ago and it became reality. Couldn't be happier.:thumbsup::hyper:
    IMG_3408 (2).JPG

13. Daphne blue, fiesta red, shell pink, LPB, surf green, shoreline gold, yadda yadda.

But NO SUNBURST!

Bassdirty likes this.
  14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Dingwall Super P 5 w/ 2 splits and a full 37” scale.

MDH bass and Ethereal Thorn like this.
  15. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    One that fit/responded exactly to my Air(bass)Guitar playing style and random (lack of) fingering technique, with none of the pesky string buzz/noise associated with having no talent. One that you could play while driving, too. I'll take 2, please.

16. 4-string
    no more than 3,500 Grams, w/o neck-drive
    natural finish, oil, no poly
    carbon-fiber neck
    dual-action truss-rod
    100% passive
    2x2 headstock (don't know how a person tunes a headless)
    single Nordstrand Big-Split pickup in the Stingray position
    no knobs/controls
    GOTOH Res-O-Lite machine-heads

truebenjaman and mikewalker like this.
  17. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Yep.:woot:

the harp unstrung likes this.
  18. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    London, UK
    I not so much 'willed into existence' as told Gerald Marleaux what I wanted and he made it happen.

2K2ovMl.jpg

19. ATM? Guild Starfire 1, fretless, Wal pickup. It’d probably svvk.

20. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    You tune it at the bridge, using knobs that turn. It's a lot more intuitive/ergonomic and you will never accidentally knock your tuners out of tune as you would at the headstock. Restringing is much faster/easier too: