1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could will into existence the most perfect bass for you, what would it be like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lunatique, Feb 13, 2020 at 4:22 PM.

1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Steinberger Radius bridge. Genius.

2. This is simple: IF I could get one with an ebony fingerboard ( . . . . I'm not that familiar with their options . . . .), a neck-through Stingray Five in the original single humbucker style in icebox white with a matching head and chrome hardware. Already in production. No-brainer. Done deal. The beefiest sounding and built five out there, with the neckthru to help infer the fundamental and first several harmonics, enough switching in the electronics to conjure a lot of different tones, and 34" scale so I don't have to buy X-Long strings for a 35".

All beef, no filler. Everything I need and nothing I don't.

White Stingray Five neckthru.png

TylerJ, swink, Artman and 2 others like this.
  3. •Ibanez EDB400-shaped body
    •Alder
    •Passive PJ pickups
    •Switchable active/passive that still plays when battery dies and low battery light
    •1.5" nut
    •Birdseye or flamed maple fretboard
    •Series/parallel switch
    •under 9lbs
    •Q-tone filter knob
    •Wine red with white pearloid pickguard
    •Lightweight chrome hardware
    •Anti-suck button (always on)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 4:13 AM
    mikewalker likes this.
  4. Did you make that? Wow!!!

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'd look around and take my pick from each company I dig that does 'something special'.
    This bass would incorporate:
    -A graphite neck (Status/Modulus), but with a neck through design.
    -six strings (18-19mm string spacing)
    -Multiscale (Dingwall)
    -Torzal Twist (Little Guitar Works)

I'd want it to be able to incorporate a classic P sound and probably even string it with flats.
    so, I'd like that Music Man dual humbucker system where you can select the coils.
    And of course, because they are so useful, I'd want LED's in the front and on the sides. A choice of two colours does suffice - right now I'd pick red and amber or red and white.

I would not mind a headless design, as long as it does not limit my choice of strings to those with double ballends.

MDH bass likes this.
  6. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    A bolt on neck Rick 4003. I'd take a little redesign at the neck joint, but hey.

I like Rick's, and I like bolt on necks.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

fun but tough question as i feel that i have already "willed into existence" a few axes --- from parts, though, so i had to supply some labor as a function of the 'willing' process.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  8. the harp unstrung likes this.
  9. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I am a man of simple needs: A Lakland Skyline 44-64 Custom with a 32” scale neck.

Hammerfield likes this.
  10. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I kinda like the Jens Ritter basses, because they are works of art. However... just give me a well-made, passive Jazz bass and I'm happy. I've always been a fan of quilted maple - so a well-made, passive Jazz bass with a quilted maple top and matching top piece on the head stock, in a natural/clear finish.

11. Dreig

Dreig

Sep 25, 2019
    Well my bass would have:

Pickups: A neck single coil pickup from a Rick, and classic P-bass split coil in the middle.
    Wood: Dunno lol maybe alder? That is what I have now and sounds great. Also, a lacquered bloodwood neck and fretboard.
    Knobs: Just a volume knob, a 2-way tone switch instead of tone knob, and a pickup 3-way switch.
    Pickguard: Black, extremely shiny, made of aluminium.
    Electronics: Full passive
    Hardware: Black chrome, with a extra big heavy hi-mass bridge
    Color: Mutha-buzzin' DARK RED SUNBURST
    Body and head shape: Something huge and sharp. Think BC Rich Warlock with Widow headstock style.

Also it would be built by an old, grizzled master luthier wearing black robes, on a candle-lit black stone altar while a hooded choir chants in the background.

12. Hammerfield

Hammerfield

Aug 1, 2016
    Argentina
    descarga.jpeg

Close enough??

Samatza and the harp unstrung like this.
  13. I want a Kiesel Zues 7 string multi scale 32/37 scale with lace bass bars slanted to match the fan a 24 volt modded John East preamp with passive tone control active/passive switch or pushpull and 4 band sweepable eq. Poplar Burl top with a see thru purple candy burst, Swamp Ash body, 9 piece maple, ebony, purple heart, and wenge neck birdseye maple board with extra jumbo stainless frets purple abalone offset mini block inlays Luminlay side dots black hardware with purple abalone caps on the knobs, Nuetrick locking output jack, dunlop flushmount straplocks. I'm sure there's some little details I'm forgetting but I could get close to this with the option 50 stuff but I think the scale length and neck are a no go and it would be uber spendy.

14. Bass4bros

Bass4bros

Dec 16, 2019
    Brown has a 41" scale length and does not require an amp.

Attached Files:

15. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
  16. Tekkers

Tekkers

Dec 16, 2018
    GMT
    If it could be anything?

Six-string B-C, 34”-33” fan, 14.5mm string spacing, 31 frets including a zero fret, probably single-cutaway, Nordstrand BigRig at the neck+MM humbucker at the bridge, two-way switch, single volume, killswitch, dead light, well-balanced, locking tuners, reverse headstock, maple fretboard, sparkly white scratchplate, and bright pink or other ludicrous finish.

If I could have two I’d get the above specs as an eight-string, 34”-32.5”-ish fan, with two extra high strings tuned B-Ab.

If I were being asked to design a ‘signature’ model fit commercial release, for some reason... I would go with the above specs but throw in cheap generic pickups, an unfinished body and anything else to keep the price under £500, so anyone can get a hold of one.

17. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    One that could scan my brain and know the sound I want, then scan the room and adjust all the necessary frequencies to get that sound in the mix.

Of course I would have to have an amp that would do the same...

18. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I think it would be cool to have a rotary switch that works like a guitar amp where you can change the effect or tone right on the bass.

19. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    No Offense, but it's really not difficult.
    You can:
    Pluck string with the hand that's doing nothing.. OR..If that hand is busy doin something.. pluck the string with "picking hand", and then, (quickly, while string is ringing) Move that "picking hand" 3 inches backward and adjust the tuner. ;)

*Not sure if you were being funny or something, as there are millions of Floyd Rose tremolos being used with no issues with the fine tuners. (including mine). And its an absolute dream to have the fine tuning there.
    YMMV
    :)

T$

20. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    A Mike Lull Stingray.
    Stingray sound with light weight, user friendly hardware and superb craftsmanship of a Lull.