1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you could, would you live forever?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wdinc01, Aug 8, 2007.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    This is a question I like to toss out there every once in a while. Would you live forever?

I know many people say no because they'll miss their loved ones. The way I see it is, yes I'll miss them, I'll have to grip with them being gone. But I'll meet new people. And really, I want to see how the future turns out. Or I'd like for them to put me on a rocket and shoot me off into space, because that's something I've always wanted to see.

I think eventually I'd want to die, though. Just not in 60 years.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Would I go blind, deaf, and incontinent, or would I just remain fat and ugly for eternity?? I haven't been very nice to my body, and it's probably kind of pissed off at me. I don't think I could deal with the consequences of that forever.

3. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    As long as I could stay in my healthy and youthful body, and choose when to check out, then yes in theory, I would like to live forever.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, that would be my requirement. Although I'm sure in the future, medical science could fix you anyway.

5. i would if i dident age after a point ....i think 25 is a good point to stop ageing

6. Only if I could carry a broadsword under my trenchcoat. In the end, there can be only ONE!!!!!!!!! th_smiley_sword.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Only if I could change my mind after saying yes.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd like to die before 70, so no.

9. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Me too. Wait, can I rewind my body like 15 years first? :meh:

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    No, I think I'd rather have a finite life.

11. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe. But only if I had to drink the blood of humans to stay alive. That would rock!

12. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    How old would I be? Would I age or stay the same?
    I would because I'd eventually end up being the best player on the planet because I would have 200 years under my belt.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sure would.

-Mike

14. Yeah, maybe then I'll see the Saints win a Super Bowl.

;)

:D

15. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Nope. Not for me.

I wanna grow old and gray. I wanna have me a huge white beard some day and whittle away in my garage making wooden projects. I wanna be the old drunken viking at the renaissance faires. I wanna be the jolly guy on the block all the kids want to come visit. I wanna die, to see what Hell is like.

Cuz I'm METAL, and that's where I'm going!

\m/ SATAN! \m/

16. have fun.:rollno:

to the OT...the book tuck everlasting comes to mind...it was a mandatory 6th grade read at my school, its a good book though.

17. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would if I could remain relatively young and healthy. Not because I want immortality for the sake of never dieing, but because I'd like to see what happens in our future. How far do we end up being able to travel in space? Do we colonize other planets/moons? How far do we integrate technology into your lives (and bodies)? What about Genetic Engineering?

I've been reading Dan Simmons' Hyperion series these days, and anyone who has read them would understand my curiousity!

Although, I think I'd be more interested in going back in time and seeing all the great early civilizations with my own eyes.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Post Armageddon, you would walk the earth (what's left of it) alone forever.

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit

Ahh yes. Awesome book. Also, awesome album by Manticora.

I'll also bring up another album, The Perfect Machine by Vision Divine. Mankind learns the secret of immortality. God turns his back on us. Mankind achieves all that it can, and Life loses its purpose and meaning. We wander around for four thousand years, having nothing to do nor anything to learn or experience, because we've done and seen everything there is to do and see. Finally, after Mankind becomes so hopeless and meaningless, God asks, "Now do you understand?"

There's a good reason why we are all destined to die. Same as the Elves and their longing for Valinor in Tolkien's stories.

After so much time living, you lose the interest to live. You see and do everything you want, and there's nothing left to explore or experience.

Yes, the curiosity of what the future holds is very very powerful. But the magic of Life is its mysteries. Its unknowns. And the Afterlife is one of them.