If you couldn't have a Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 8, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ok so if you weren't as rich as Nino is and couldn't afford a Sadowsky. What would you get with a limit of lets say 1000-1500 dollars brand new.

Oh yer and it has to be a five string.

Having never played one I can only appreciate other peoples comments.

I was thinking
    FMT Fender jazz
    American P bass thingy with p and humbucker pickups
    G&L L2500
    Bongo - ignore shape think sound (mmmmmmm Bongo)
    Yamaha BB2005
    Some sort of lakland.
    Valenti - If I could get one in the UK

So kinda going for traditional looking so no F bass look alikes and so on J pickups is not a must but u know must be something similar so no plain P basses. I guess you could get somthing similar tone wise and lose out on build quality or vice versa have a great built bass with lovely tops but not that tone that just fits for everything.

2. You want traditional styling but you list bongo? Out of those, I would say bongo, or lakland 55-02.
  3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I would definitely talk to Nino about a Valenti. Check out this Sadowsy impression - my favorite Valenti.

Second choice = BONGO!
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I don't know I still consider the bongo traditional in the sense. Its not a curvy as more modern basses if anything its more retro cos of the blockiness of things like the head stock. Some things just scream Ric 4001/4003 to me.

Maybe I'm wrong but I also include my Ibanez srx505 in a more traditional shape just cos its flatter and bit more of a chunk of wood compared to a sr or peavey cirrus
  5. How about the "European Sadowsky", Hotwire? Not that I ever have tried one, but ppl seem to rate them highly. Prices start at 1500 euros.
  6. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'd get a Rogue.

No wait, not a Rogue - a Bongo.

Like no one saw THAT coming, right?
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Lakland Skyline 55-01
  8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Skyline Joe Osborn 5- drop a Sadowsky pre in it-
  9. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I was inda thinking a passive beast would be nice as both my 4's are passive and then I was thinking U-retro stompbox so all can share a pre.

But i've never reall liked passive 5's but then I don't know if a stompbox pre is that much different from an internal one.

Also what about those ESP/LTD jazz's.
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd be happy to ship a bass to the UK. :)
    Email me if you're interested & for more info.
  11. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    That might be a winner. Really got that high end look and they do seem really cheap. Any one got any experiences with like a standard model or stock model.

I tell you nino i'm so tempted to get one of your basses but with all the shipping duties and tax over here I could probably get a sadowsky :D (They wanted to add 22.3% on a second hand bass from switzerland)

Thanks for the input guys
  12. I'd definately get a Valenti. Like that Transparent Red Swamp Ash Jazz, with all the black hardware, except with a 3-band pre. MMMMM.....
  13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    hmmm:/ if buying bass for 1500+ how many strings would you get:/ I personally love traditional 4string... but i figure if spending that much money (god i wish i had that kind of money... maybe i'd pay off my dept) one would want to go for 5-6 string... do you guys think its personal? or are they really worth it even if you prefer 4string... will it grow on me? will i get laughed at if i have great bass but only 4 strings? :]]]] If i was only rich... back to writing paper i go...

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'd 2nd the Lakland Skyline JO 5 recommendation.

The Skyline 55-02's are nice too.

Try out a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 as well -- very versatile bass.
  16. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH thats great... i never noticed it:p awsome, i love it:]]]]
  17. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Kserg I'll explain my reason for a 5 string. I have recently come to the conclusion that I do not need a six. If you look in my sig you can see I have what I concider to be a high end 4 string with the ric 4003 I then have a mim reissue jazz that is the backup to this bass roughly being worth about half of what the ric is. Next I have an Ibanez (No Laughing) and at the moment this is my best 5 string so I want to upgrade to a 5 string in the same league as my ric and keep my ibanez as the backup worth about half as much.

So all in all 2 4strings 2 5strings each high end bass having a decent but not over the top back up.

Just my feelings on how many basses I need of course my g/f thinks that 4 is a stupid amount.

WOMEN :rolleyes:
  18. 3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    If I couldn't afford a Sadowsky 24Ft which is what I want. Then I would purchase some Warmoth Gecko parts. Swamp ash body, Maple neck/board and just intstall the Sadowsky soapbar pickups and preamp and call it a day.LOL :cool:
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender Am Jazz FMT (like the one below).
    Fender Roscoe Beck. (like the one below).
    Fender Am P-bass Deluxe. (like the one not below).