If you did "make it big", on which bassist would you model your career?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Bootsy/Larry Graham- Sideman turned lead kahuna

19 vote(s)
  2. Michael Anthony/ Duff McKagan-nonexistent outside of the band

14 vote(s)
  3. James Jamerson/ Neil Stubenhaus - Studio ho

17 vote(s)
  4. Anthony Jackson/ Nathan East - Sideman to the stars

24 vote(s)
  5. Will Lee/ Victor Wooten - Main gig plus side projects

48 vote(s)
  6. Don Was/ Brian Wilson - Bassist turned producer

17 vote(s)
  7. Jeff Berlin/ John Patitucci - Sideman turned educator

8 vote(s)
  8. Geddy Lee/Steve Harris - Primary musical contributor in band

37 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    My poll includes some examples but they're not etched in stone. Feel free to elaborate on your particular preference. Note: you can vote on more than one option.

I think I like Vic's and Will's approach. they vary their steady gigs with good side projects that keep the main gig interesting. Of course, Vic and Will are pretty popular guys overall, so if I didn't have their marketability, I'd try to do the sideman/studio thing.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If I were good enough I would pursue a studio career, or a major TV houseband gig, perhaps combined with teaching. It would only work in a bigger country than Sweden though, there's just not enough money for anyone to make it anywhere near "big" here in this business. Live gigging is just too much stress and hard work for me to have as a way of making a living. I'll keep my dayjob as an IT Consultant for the time being, thank you... :)

Edit: OK, I wouldn't mind doing studio/production work either, but I'm not sure how much that really has to do with being a bass player per se.
  3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think I'd want to do a bit of everything, but I guess I'd want to focus on sideman work and side projects.

Which is kinda sorta what I do now but not anywhere near the level I'd like to be at someday.

Not needing a day job and being able to play as a full-time pro seems like the Promised Land.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I wanna travel around the world and play classy gigs in Europe and Japanese clubs full of wealthy, pretentious people. Like Patitucci.

I also think it'd be fun to be Will Lee. Studio ho + steady (low pressure) stage dates.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Tony Levin. Longevity, respect from peers, plenty of variety in the gigs he plays.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Michael Anthony. One job is enough.
  7. I think maybe Wooten + Wilson, main gig, some side projects and being a producer. Though I don't know, I don't know how I'd handle that much stuff to do. I really value my free time. (sleep)
  8. I always wanted to be a studio guy, but, on that journey of a thousand miles I still have about 990 left to go.

Being in a decent, occasionally gigging blues band would suit me just fine, but, to be able to just go into a studio and play something bang-on the first time I fear shall remain just a dream for me. I'm a realist; I'm not that good. And that's okay with me. :)

Mike J.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bootsy style. I live for playing live, and to be in the drivers seat, that would be something special.
  10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    My career would be based on the sideman aspect of AJ/East combined with the side projects of Will/Wooten. For the side projects, however, I would keep one steady and leave time for one other project here and there.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I went with AJ and East. I want to play with everyone!

But only because Ray Brown wasn't an option.
  13. strictly speaking Michael Anthony and Duff McKagen have played/recorded outside their bands- with Planet US, and Iggy Pop (brick by brick album) respectively.

I like Doug Wimbish's role(s), as band member (Living colour, Jungle funk) producer, solo artist and player on sessions where he's allowed to bring his style eg. Mick Jagger, Seal.
  14. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Micheal Anthony -

Play in a big band, make lots o' dough. Retire and open a bar marketing your own boutique brand of tequila!

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey, how come Jaco lifestyle wasn't an option......:D

I'd proabably vote to go the Vic way and be a band leader with enough free time to do whatever projects I wanted to.
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Considering your answer, Your objection makes perfect sense. I was going to pair Victor Wooten with Jaco but I then thought Will Lee would be a more down to earth example.:p
  17. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I like this combo too. I'd like to be the steady player for a big solo name, but with time off to do my own thing. Guys like Hugh McDonald (Bon Jovi) or Kasim Sultan (Meatloaf) come to mind. Go on tour for a few months and play for stadium crowds, but the off time is yours for side projects or studio work without it being a threat to your main gig. That would be the perfect mix.
  18. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I voted producer
  19. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    you do know once you get into the "made it big" situation youll probably have changed your minds?
    Im sure victor didnt go out and say "im gonna have this many sideprojects...e.t.c. Just a point.

I think i just wanna be in a rock band. Living in excess. Not because of money you understand, i couldnt give a rats arse. Just wanna have a career i can write a wild book about. :D
  20. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002