1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

if you dig the vintage stuff, check it out!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Figured you guys might be interested in this.
    I got this bass from an old lady for $125 about a year ago. She got it in the late sixties from a local music store. It's a no-name, MIJ, medium scale beauty, with the original flatwounds still on it!!!
    The original nameplate fell off the headstock at somepoint during the last 40 years so I renamed it Kazak and painted it on the headstock as it was very plain looking. If anyone can tell me where I got the name you get a cookie. haha
    It sounded great as it was, but I just swapped out the old Maxon pickup with this vintage Guild humbucker. Now this bass is sooo powerful!!! It will eat your full scale alive!! :cool:
    Let me know what you guys think.
    kazak001.
    kazak002.
    kazak003.

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Looks pretty sweet! You should post some sound clips.

3. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    a vonnegut fan, i take it?

4. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Borat. Where's my cookie?

5. NICE!

6. Well, judging by the Maxon pickup coupled with the type of hard case, I'd hazard a guess it came out of the Fuji-Gen factory, possibly Ibanez - if it had been in the UK, I'd have said Antoria.

7. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    A vonnegut fan I am!
    Not to get off the bass topic, but Sirens of Titan is my favorite.

8. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    haha nice try but it's actually named after Mr. Winston Niles Rumfoord's mastiff from kurt vonnegut books.

9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Oh well. I tried. :)

10. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    hmm that's interesting and I hadn't thought of it. I do know that ampeg used the maxon pickups on their little stud basses back then as well.
    My Kazak also has a 6-bolt neck if that helps.

11. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    here's a sound clip for ya. it's recorded direct into the computer with the tone knob in the middle. let me know what you think!
    kazak.mp3 - 0.45MB

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Cool bass. I like the sound, and thanks because I have one of those pickups (neck, like yours) stashed away for a project. I was expecting more mud, but am happy it wasn't there. Rachael looks nice too.

It might be an Aria 1550 or something similar in sunburst.
    http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/bass/fbs/fndr_bass.html

13. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    happy to help. i would definitely encourage installing it. I couldnt be happier with the results:)
    be sure to post soundclips if you install it because i'm curious to see how one will sound in a different bass:cool:

14. nice axe and you can't beat that price:)

15. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Update!

I just modded it up a little. I wasnt liking the two saddle bridge because of its lack of versatility but i figured before buying a new one I'd try messing around a bit to see what i could do.
    So I removed the saddles and cut up a nice heavy drumstick to specifications. It took a while to get the height of each individual string right but it sounds amazing now. the intonation is finally pretty good and the action is better than it ever was before. Not to mention, the string spacing is now spot-on for the pickup! the old saddles hold the new
    snazzy wooden saddle in place. everything works great!
    also, for those of you who cringe at the sight of my mod; no worries, the bridge cover still fits on as it did before and covers it up completely:)
    IMG_0664.

16. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Wow that's got the same vibe as my first bass, which I still have somewhere in my garage. It's a "Lero".

17. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    haha the lero is beautiful! the pickup is actually almost identical to the one that used to be in my Kazak!:hyper:

18. bifbugie56

bifbugie56

Feb 25, 2006
    that bass could be a "ventura" copy. i have a gold top les paul copy
    that came with a very similar case. pretty well made,mahogany body
    maple back,bolt-on neck "custom" inlays...nice score.

19. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I like it, did it change the sound?

20. mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    can't say for sure, as i didnt get a 1 to 1 comparison but I feel like it may have warmed up the tone a bit.