1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

If you don't put your amp on top of your cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BryanB, Aug 9, 2012.

1. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you don't put your amps on top of your cab(s), where do you put them? I am looking for ideas about an alternate location for the amp that still allows easy access and a minimal foot print. Thanks.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    standing on end next to the stack? (you'd have to reach down to tweak it though)

3. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

how do you deal with the cooling problems?

4. Hang it from the ceiling?

5. does it ever worry anyone that all the vibration from the cab will mess up the amp in some way? It doesn't seem to. Just wondering.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nope. I stack the amp on top of the cabs, and the PA on top of the amp, and I built a little shelf that goes on top of the PA to hold outboard gear. I'm all about the small footprint.

Every once in a blue moon I need to use a power amp. I just place it sideways beside the cabs. No problem since it cools front to back.

7. You could put it on a stand or table next to the cab....and yes you will look like a moron.

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    If it's a micro amp, there are various shelves and holders that attach to a mike stand, music stand or percussion stand that could be adapted to hold the micro amp. You could make adjustments without turning around to the stack.

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Under ... :p

10. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    in a rack...

FloorRack.

11. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Because of the footprint issue, my set up is probably not the solution your looking for. But maybe it can give you an idea or two.

[​IMG]

12. nickavellij

nickavellij

Aug 7, 2012
    i've done this before with my solid state amp when a power source is hard to reach. will it mess up the amp if i had the head on its side, on the floor, next to the cab?

13. My Shuttle hangs from a chain around my neck. Flava Flav hates that I'm cooler than he. 8)

14. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thick folded socks are great for vibration control. The heavier the unit, the greater the number of stacked pairs. Just don't block any bottom vents. It ain't pretty but it works, been doing it for years.

15. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I was wounder what I could do with my SVT Cl, seems like after a while my 410 it is sitting on could rattle something that should not be rattled!

16. My socks are full of holes.... will they still work? :hyper:

17. Vandy

Vandy Banned

Dec 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Nice . . .

18. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Can we see a pic of the stand for the 410 cab please? Would like to see how it is supported.

Thanks !

19. jpknox

jpknox

Oct 7, 2011
    Knoxville TN
    several in ET use a wooden tv tray - it would look 'better' painted black or dark gray - but it works - adds a little to the footprint, but folds, easy to transport and works

20. If it has fan assisted cooling it will make no difference.

If it has a heatsink on the back it will probably not be designed to run on end so may overheat if driven hard (or it may be ok).

Tube amps I would definitely not do it.

If in doubt or you are worried contact the manufacturer.