If you don't take your bass playing seriously then...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RJI777, Sep 17, 2020.

1. RJI777

RJI777 Guest

Jan 29, 2020
    Having just signed in, the first thing I see is an advertisement which started as above (pretty much).

Hmm! ..."Then" what exactly? Sorry no; wrong question. "Seriously"?; taking your bass playing "seriously".

What the *** is that supposed to mean?; other than being an advertising ploy which (hopefully) "is likely to promote ... one viewpoint (seriously) over another (not seriously)"; which although contravenes certain advertising rules, is irrelevant.

No, to my mind, the question is simply: "What [the ***] does it mean to, 'take your bass playing seriously', as opposed to not doing so?"

To be honest, I think that I've taken my bass playing seriously, ever since I started nearly 50 years ago. In simple terms, it's:

"A state of mind, irrespective of current ability, etc., that, throughout your time as a bass player, acts as a compass to guide your overall bass playing (attitude, mind set, integrity, BEING A BASS PLAYER, etc.), thus assisting you to ensure that all your endeavours are fit for purpose e.g., starting out, practising, joining + playing in + leaving a band (or not), performing, recording, coping with success +/- failure, bowing out (or not), etc., etc.".

What's your take? Do you take your bass playing seriously? If so, what do you mean? How do you know?

Or, in terms of the advertisement, is it simply a matter of?: "Where's that confounded bridge?" (Led Zeppelin, The Crunge, Houses of the Holy, 1973).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2020
  2. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    You have ads?

Winslow and jerry like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  4. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    If you don’t, you may have fun, so be careful! After all, this is “ grim s#*t,” , as an old professor of mine loved to say.

Winslow and LBS-bass like this.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

All advertising is a con, designed to motivate you to buy a product by appealing to your vanity, insecurity, prejudice, sense of inadequacy, sense of superiority, sense of entitlement, greed, jelousy, so on and so on. In that situation, what is implied is “are you good enough to own this bass”? It’s a challenge, hoping to push the irrationality button. Only you can determine what instrument, which is really a tool, is right for you. Many beginners start out on pieces of junk, but if they’re dedicated, will rise above it. You could certainly make do, and advance, with a Squier or SX or whatever. At the same time, Corts aren’t exactly Lulls or Foderas.

Winslow likes this.
  6. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    "What the advertiser needs to know is not what is right about the product but what is wrong about the buyer."

Neil Postman - Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business.

And if the problem does not exist, they will manufacture one for you.

Michedelic, Winslow and LBS-bass like this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    The ad should read “are you insecure enough about your musicianship to buy our overpriced pice of hardware in hopes of improved self esteem?”

9. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    From 'trend setters' to 'taste makers' in the '90s to 'influencers.' Selling old rope for a few quid.

Michedelic likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021