If you ever make it "big", what are you dreams?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Nov 24, 2002.

1. For me, if I make it in a band (e.g. Metallica), I've ALWAYS wanted to get a bass collection like Newsted has!

At one point he had just over 70 basses, within the next year he had a few HUNDRED! Basses! That's insane!

Other than that, I've always wanted to walk around in the street and have SOME people (the fans) go "Hey look! It's Garrett! Can we have an autograph!?" Just free attention like that...it rocks.

And I've always thought I'd love to go and suprise fans at their houses and stuff. It's all about the fans you know :)

So what about you guys?
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    *orgasms and faints*
  4. AARRGGHH.. thats scary.. the lead singer from Midnight Oil is Peter Garret... crazy bald headed politician type

5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i want a house with a 24 track all hard-drive vegas-based studio in the basement.

i want a subaru WRX STi (coming in '04 :D), Mini Cooper S, and a BMW MCoupe.

and a few basses.

other than that, i'd like to be able to start a family, i guess? and travel.

At first I thought it was because I haven't been here in a week (I was like, whoa they remember me?)..then I realized it was about what I said. :D

Oh and a mansion would be nice. :D

Nothing Huge...but ya know something I can live in for the rest of my life.

I dunno about a family.

I mean I'm a nice caring guy, but I don't see myself with a girlfriend and getting married...
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A few basses, a nice house (doesn't need to be a mansion) with a recording studio either in the house, or on the property; I don't intend to live in suburbia. A family, a car or two, and some financial security.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    First, I buy my parents a home.
    Then, I build an account so they can retire.
    Then, I buy my sister a home and a car.
    Then, I pay off my lady's student loans and buy her an office.

Then, it doesn't matter.
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Man, I think the biggest deal for me would be being recognized when I go somewhere (not that I don't get a fair amount of attention from the ladies as it is). At the last GWAR show I was at, I was getting Slymenstra's autograph when I heard her say to someone else, "I want to get upstairs, cuz I don't wanna be stuck down here." My first thought was, "I'd give anything to be stuck down here, signing autographs and chatting with my fans."

If I were offered instruments and equipment as an endorser, I'd donate some of my older stuff to music programs and what-not, so aspiring musicians would have some quality stuff to use.

Right now, it's such a cool thing to look at my mp3.com page and see that almost 100 people have listened to my original stuff, or original stuff that I played on. I think about the fact that someone from Australia or China could be listening to one of my songs right now!
  10. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    its not all its cracked up to be. a few years ago i was playing in the biggest local band in the tri county area where i lived, and it wasnt uncommon for me to walk into a store, or a coffeehouse, and have people stare at me, and then whisper to their friends, and then tell me how much they loved my band. while it sounds cool, and sometimes is, the attention you get gets really old, and fast. signing autographs is a pain in the butt too. i remember several occasions where i did absolutely nothing but sign autograph after autograph for people, and when people want your signature, they'll be jerks to get it. dont get me wrong, its cool to be recognized, but like i said, it gets old fast, because eventually, you just want to be left alone, and not be bothered by people all the time. if it ever happens where i become that big that i have virtually endless supplies of money at my disposal, i would want an apartment in a major city, like nyc, to be close to clubs and bars and studios, and then another house either in rural new england, or the northwest. i havent been to europe yet, so i cant really say anything there. quite a bit of the money i would have would go to friends and family, too.
  11. 40 million tacos for 40 million dollars.

Oh yeeeeah..
  12. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    . I`d like to sunk in several addictions, nasty hedonism and lame bass playing.

13. Ooh, he's such a dude :)

Midnight Oil rocks.

14. They would be the same dreams as if I didn't make it big.

Buy or build a nice house for mi parents.
    Buy or build a nice house for myself and my possible upcomming familiy.
    Get some really nice equipment and a couple of new basses, maybe custom made.
    Difuse some of my positive ideas through music successfuly, and be heard by thousands.
    Have enough money to travel very often.
  15. Making it big? Well, the financial security for my fanily and me and a few close friends would be enough for me!

Sort my parents and my g/f parents out financially - they've looked after us all our days!

Sort my brother and his wife out financially too - let them follow their dreams!

Ensure that my son would be able to achieve his dreams - or at least give him a helping hand on the way!

Believe it or not, I'd even sort out the financial security of my estranged wife - she is the mother of my son after all, and I loved her once!

There are places I'd like to go and visit and things I would want to do! I do them and visit them!

PLay big gigs - to see thousands of people happy with the work that you (and the band) have done!

A friend asked me about this before, he said "when you make it big, what would you do about the begging letters?" I said, "I'll keep sending them!";) :D :D
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

well i guess there's only one question now....

hard shell or soft shell?

17. I would take a very large check into Guitar Center Clackamas, slap it down in front of my boss, and say, "Get the hell out of my store, I'm buying EVERYTHING."

Rock on
  18. my own reverend signature bass.
  19. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I'd like to be free of massive educational debt.
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Because Stardum is fleeting and big money usually leaves as fast as it comes.....

I'd buy a fully staffed, working farm with sufficient unused land for other uses or for subdivision if money got tight. I'd set the Mrs's up with a non-profit cat shelter and boarding house she's dreamed of owning/running. Then I'd run some Phat data pipes in and set up a nice little hosting business... connected to my personal recording studio. I'd hook family up with their needs too.

I'd also track some professional musicians I respect down and travel for semi regular lessons and jams