if you had $1200 to put towards a new rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 11, 2003.

1. ok, im planning on getting my first rig to go with the bass im getting for my birthday, a conklin GT-7 (WOO HA HA)i would like to get a good head, a 4x10 and a 1x15. but this is flexible (very)

so my question is; if you had 1200 dollars (american) how would you spend it towards a rig?
    just for records, i have no components yet, my current amp is a fender bassman 60 watt combo.
  2. Give me just a moment here.....let's see....oh...oh, yeah.....I'd get an Ampeg SVT. The heavier the better.
  3. details! why would you get an SVT? what about cabs and such? i really want to put together a nice rig that can last me through college (im a senior in high school now) and i know very little about anything other than combo amps, so i really need serious help with this matter :)
  4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below

5. :confused:

never heard of it, link?
  6. It's a car jiffy lube.
  7. grr

this thread isnt going to well, perhaps i should delete it and try again :meh:
  8. well for 1200 bucks
    it depend on whether you going for volume or sound quality
    volume- I would say go peavey
    Firebass 700 $759 list
    410 $649 list
    115 $369 list
  9. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  10. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    these threads are a pain to answer just simply because we cant answer it for you...

what kind of tone do you like? fat and bassy or modern and hifi? or sortof in between?

what kind of music do you play? are you jamming with anyone other than yourself?

right now, if i had the bux, i would probably buy.. hell, i dunno.. cabinets!! i always have a hassle with cabinets.. i always blow speakers, i hate hearing crappy sounding speakers... i'd take my chances on an ampeg 8x10 or something that has been tried tested and prooven to work..

i dunno, save more money so you are not limited, thats what i'd do.

or yeah, maybe an avatar 4x10 + 1x15 and a used gk800rb... too bad i cant test that combo from where i'm at :(
  11. well for 1200 bucks
    it depend on whether you going for volume or sound quality
    volume- I would say go peavey
    Nitrobass $589 list
    + 410 $649 list

OR for a good sounding rig that is not as loud
    mesa walkabout head $799 list
    mesa 210 cab $479

either of these will rock
    add a fifteen later
    any other suggestions would be helpful
    this is just my two cents
  12. k, thanks guys, i looked into the avatars and really like what i see. as of right now im thinking an avatar 4x10 and 1x15 and a carvin 1000 head, any opinions? btw, i prefer tone quality over volume but also want a good deal of volume. i like a good bass heavy sound. good indication of my tone: i turn the bass up a little, the mids down up a lot, and the highs stay even. as for music: i play any and everything, so versatility is important too. thanks for takin the time to help
  13. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I personally don't like the Carvins. GK will give you much better tone. The new 1001RBII is 700 watts, plenty of power and only weighs 18lbs.
  14. just looked into them. im liking the GKs now
  15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, GK's rock. also check out Ampeg SVT-III Pro's. they can be found at good deals used, i got my '94 used for 350 earlier this year right after a re-tubing. you just gotta find the deals.
  16. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I did have about $1200 to spend and so I bought:

Yamaha PB-1 preamp (e-bay) $100
    QSC RMX-1450 $400
    brand-x light strip (e-bay) $ 50
    (2) 2-space SKB racks (e-bay) $100

(1) Avatar B112 $200
    (2) homemade JBL 1x12 subs $325
    (3) homemade Speakon cables $ 25

I've been happy with it.
  17. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    You might consider getting a 2x10" and a 1x15". Your back will thank you for it.
  18. www.avatarspeakers.com Nice 115 and nice 410 for CHEAP

Oh...and as for head. I'd go used...

Good Luck Man:)

19. yeah, little late on the avatars jon, i already decided on them. for that price and amount of power they can't be beat! and to NeedMoreBass i have a nifty little fold out hand truck thing for carrying stuff like this, weigth is no factor :)

im still not sure on the head though :meh:
  20. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    For heads I would go with Eden. I just picked up a used Eden Traveler for my backup rig for 800 canadian. Barely used at all and really good sound. Volume is good through a 410 and a 115 as well. Be sure to take load into account with your cabinet and head choice as well. Nothing worse than buying 2-4Ohm cabs and not realizing your amp can't handle them.