1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If You Had 300 Dollars To Spend On An Ibanez...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stampy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    What would it be?
    2002 SRX500 or 2008 SR300

I got the SRX used yesterday and it sounds amazing but after getting an adjustment on it yesterday afternoon it needs one again for fret buzz on my A and D strings. I was also looking for truly an active bass I thought since the SRX had a 9v slot in the back it was active. Well I was wrong it's passive with active eq??? I found the SR300 easier to play with the thinner neck but I guess with active electronics it quiets the bass down a little bit, at least thats what I noticed.

So what is the better deal/better bass. Just looking for some opinions.:)

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There is nothing wrong with the SRX500. I had one for a while, since moved to all 5-strings, and it was a good solid bass with hi-gain output. Sometimes it just takes a few adjustments to get a bass setup correctly. I personally like the SR300 better. You can use your amp to increase the volume should that be necessary. But it isn't that the 300 is quiet, it is that the SRX500 is a loud bass :)

3. used ATK all the way!

4. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For $300, definitely go used. Quality, mint used Ibanez's sell cheap, almost too-good-to-be-true cheap.

I use an SR506 and like it alot, I get a real good "feel" out of it, I loved the look immediately, and it sounds good and the active EQ has a good range of sounds. Of course thats the 6 string, I think SR504 and 505 are their respective 4 and 5 stringers. (btw its the mahogany brown one)

5. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yeah I think I just have to get used to this beast a little more.

6. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I have spent less than $300 several times on Ibanez basses, 2 SR885s and one SR800, also a '92 CT5 (Korea, nice bass, 3 piece maple neck on Alder body). The MIJ Ibanez basses are such a bargain (especially SR885s), if I were you I'd just be patient and wait for one of those. I also recently passed up a mint RoadstarII (P) for $185, -I should have snapped that up.

7. mfgl

mfgl

Jul 1, 2008
    Altoona PA
    there are several sr 485 sr495 and sr505 on ebay atm in the 200$ range. the 4 string versions too.

8. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1

Got my PL5050 on eBay for $100 although its not in great shape it plays unbelievably. Also bought my GSR200 for $120 In pristine conditon... so so definatly buy used

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have 3 Soundgear 800's and an ATK 300; each cost between #175 and $250.

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Personally, I think the RD series was Ibanez's best budget bass. I have an RD300 that I payed $450AUD (Australian dollars) for. It is bound to be under $300 in the US, especially if you see one for used. It's got the most comfortable neck I've ever played. It is a shape I'd never expect on a cheap bass, it actually feels a tad thinner past the 12th fret than it does at the 1st. This is done so you can easily work your way around the higher registers. Even with that design the neck still feels VERY solid and indestructible. And trust me, it is, this is my beater bass.

It is passive with a vol/bal/tone setup, but it is VERY versatile. I haven't modded it at all and it sounds just as good as any $2000 bass (no joke). It isn't shielded, but I have no problems with static noise unless I have a lot of appliances on in my room at once. The RD500 and RD505 came with Seymore Duncan Basslines pickups, and a sturdier bridge. Here are some pics of my RD300;

DSCF2539.
    DSCF2545.

Boom762 likes this.