Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

If you had $400...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Aug 6, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Im on a budget and tired of my Squier 4 (but i still love my Brice v2 5) I wanted to look into a used Music Man Sub (active) for $465, but that stay may be too much for me. I just want a nice, good sounding, good playing, budget bass for under $400.. But i'm just having a bitch of a time making up my mind, because there are just too many choices. Most of which are on Ebay and I can't try out, and the closest store to me is Sam Ash, and there selection sucks. I just want any input to what you think has the most bang for the mulah.. Any Specotors, Yamahas, OLP's, anything...

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    oh , here are some of the specs i was looking for.. Something to fit my Jamband style, enough to cut in a little for some melodic riffs and slides, and chords.. Slapping isn't a concern really. Would like a nice mid-range growl.

Im seriously stumped, and confuzzled.. I don't know what to get. :(

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    You may want to try out a G&L Tribute L2500

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    A used Fender Mexican Jazz sounds right up your alley. Drop some Dimarzio Model J's, only 95 new shipped from bestbassgear.com, and you'd be in business. That'd be under 400 no problem if you can use a soldering gun at all and if not it shouldn't be much to have some hack install them for you.

5. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    mtd kingston? there's a nice one floating round ebay right now...
    I think its a 5ver.
    These are great budget basses so i hear.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Used Fender Mexican. I bought one that was "hammered" in the listing for $100 off of ebay and did a cleaning, neck adjust and put an EMG J set in it and it wails. You get lucky.

7. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Someone's selling a G&L SB-2 Tribute for $300 in the forum classifieds right now. Looks really nice - I would take a look at that if I were you. I would choose it over a MIM Jazz myself...

8. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    How would an IBANEZ ATK do? Other than that, how's the sound on those G&L Tributes?

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
  10. good to see another jam band player here... :)

I've used an Ibanez SR-506 and it's suited me well

I back up the L-2500 suggestion though

11. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Dean Edge 4. Tasty stuff.

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    If it was me, I would wait and save another $400.00.
    Get the best bass you can,big difference from $400.00 bass to $800.00.
    Upgrade will be well worth the wait.

13. actually....if you can save up 550'ish and watch the TB classifieds/ebay you can find a KSD ProtoJ v70 5 string and those things are heaven :)

14. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    MIM Fender Jazz!

Sounds better than a Stingray.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Make (assemble) your own...

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    From what? Parts from Warmoth for a decent quality bass can cost more than $1000 with finish, and assembling your own bass turns out pretty bad more often than not. Allparts is no cheaper...*shrug* Plus, the tools to do it, along with the materials and labour? Not worth it for a one-off, IMO.

17. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    used tribute G&L 2000, awsome bass....

Dean Edge Q4/5, awsome for there price, i love mine to death, possibly used warwick rockbass, used Geddy lee Fender

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It was just a suggestion that may not have crossed his mind. I'd have no doubt that a resourceful individual can assemble a decent bass in that price range.

19. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    a neck from rondo music, body from mighty mite, pups from customparts.com......run you under 400 and you could put yourself togather a MM rip off or somethign similar.

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    BIG +1. Used G&L Tribute L2K would, IMO and in your situation, be ideal. Dean's are also pretty good, and a used Geddy Lee would be fantastically sweet.

canopener: A pre-cut body and a pre-cut neck would run for half of the cost. The tools to do it, and the raw materials for making a cut, routed, sanded body with a cut, sanded, shaped, fretted neck with a truss rod would run you the entire cost. To say nothing of hardware, electronics, or finishing. Not even MacGyver could do a EDIT: GOOD one-off for less than 400.