if you had 4k to spend on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pipers dad, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:08 PM.

1. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

Sep 28, 2008
    Toulouse, France
    Drozd, Warwick, Lefay, JCR, Sugi... Alpher... ESP custom.... I don't know... You pick one.

Helix likes this.
  2. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    5524_full_lg.jpg

Period!

scubaduba, ragetoca, LM Bass and 5 others like this.
  3. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The trick is to remove them when putting the bass away. And also test them regularly. I never leave one in. So they last forever. Copper top seem to last the longest

gebass6 likes this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    If I were in the market for a solid body 5-string, at the top of my list would be the current Rickenbacker. It’s nearly perfect as far as I’m concerned.

upload_2021-10-14_7-27-32.jpeg

(Photo courtesy of @mapleglo , from this thread:

New Rickenbacker 5 String Reviews )

5. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    A Roscoe, as already mentioned, or a Marco (TFL 24). Anything that ends with “co” or “coe”.
    Then again, Sadowsky is hard to beat…too many choices when you get to that price range!

baxter_x likes this.
  6. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    One good used bass and pocket the change.
    Or
    A sire D5 in butterscotch blonde AND a sire P5 in ‘Duck’ Dunn red
    And pocket 3k

TrevorOfDoom likes this.
  7. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    You'll get a million suggestions but you can get a great Lakeland for 2k. If you're spending 4, I echo some others and would look at a Sadowsky, nice Roscoe, or Dingwall.

DeltaPhoenix likes this.
  8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have a custom Lakland 54-JJ, chambered, passive with Chi-sonics. It sounds glorious. For my taste, batteries subtract more than they add, and a battery not used is a gift of omission to the next generation.

9. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I would buy 20 Classic Vibes & 20 HipShot Kickass bridges :bassist:

10. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    I live 30 freakin' miles from the Roscoe HQ's...……...that would be my choice!

11. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I would be looking at a used Canadian Dingwall.

gg22 and NOGRANDDAD like this.
  12. I'd get Pat Wilkins to make me something custom.

fretno likes this.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Umm, I'd never feel comfortable playing a 4G bass. But, if I was to dump that kind of money, I'd get a Fender Pino Palladino. (It'd have to a used one because I they cost more than $4,000.)

8ca4c7596aac4e2353396d0f27943b7c.jpg

Greg75 likes this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'd pick up a used Fodera. I always wanted one. I played one years ago, but just didn't want to put out that kind of money then.

15. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a Lakland. You have the opportunity, try them out! They are extremely good, professional-grade instruments popular with musicians for some of the biggest touring acts in the world, made by a US manufacturer with exceptional customer support.

You won't do 'better' at this price point, just 'different'.

If you like it, buy it. All the rest is just internet noise.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

PS Don't worry about the battery thing; they seem to last forever in my 55-02, and it's a quick job to swap. Carry a couple of spares, is all. Also, the volume pot can be pulled up to run in passive mode. It's significantly quieter than active (the pickups are deliberately low-output), but you just turn up your amp and keep going.

31HZ, waynobass and Steve88 like this.
  16. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I still have my Lakland 55-94 that came to me in 2000, they really hold up, sound amazing and fortunately for you, there is a very robust used Lakland market that will get you a great bass, for about 1/2 the price of a new one.

Bartrinsic and Steve88 like this.
  17. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    In my experience, I'd take a long look at Dingwall, Warwick and Sadowsky and pick one that really talked to me.

I've had good luck with Rickenbacker and G&L, but for nearly double the price of those, you have options.

I've heard good things about Rocoe, Sandberg and a couple of others, but I have little to none experience with them (either as a player or as an audio engineer). I know that Fodera is held in high esteem by many, but I've played a few and I'm not feeling the vibe from them.

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    OP - this thread comes up now and then. The answers are wildly broad.

People say "I'd find a crippled blind man who is down to his last dollar and needs to part with his Alembic dual-Orion Mark King for cheap" or other such unlikely nonsense, and others say "I'd buy a Glarry and go on vacation with the rest."

Fun conversation but maybe not useful data.

How about -

• You have $4000 to spend
    • You must buy one bass and only one bass and it must be new and priced at street value
    • That one bass would be your only bass
    • You can come out of pocket to spend more, but if you spend less, you have to give back the change

On that rubric I'm probably on a NYC Sadowsky.

19. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    EASY -
    Passive p bass, 8 to 8.5 lbs. 9.5 radius slim C neck, skunk stripe. Oh, wait, that's what I play now. Where do I collect the $4G?

CallMeAl likes this.
  20. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I hear you. Unfortunately, I'm usually "putting the bass away" at about 1 am. I need to save precious moments for rolling up PA cables.:D

fretno likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021