if you had 4k to spend on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pipers dad, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:08 PM.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I'm a fan of passive basses as well. I do have one active bass that uses a Sadowsky preamp. If the battery dies, tug the VTC pot and it's a passive bass.

I know there are some preamps that can't be defeated that way - seems risky.

2. neddyrow

neddyrow @TeddyPlaysBass - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I'd like a 1977 birth year P bass or a used Fodera. Very different ends of the spectrum so it would depend on the day I was given $4k....when are you giving me this money? :D

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not sure I'd take the word of a sales rep...I mean, he's selling you the bass, not giving it to you, right?
    Other than that, if you're going custom, G&L can't be beat. I already have two L2000s, but I'd jump on this one, with a matching headstock, of course.
    By the way, absolutely no need to spend $4,000 when you can get one of the best basses made for $2,000-$2,500...active with a passive switch.,too.
    (Yes, they make 5-string basses.)
    FB-IMG-1634220373412.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 10:44 AM
    Colarndo, Max, Gizmot and 2 others like this.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    8BD54ACE-C906-40ED-94E8-225CFFE9F660.png Valenti Verrazano. Youd have enough left over for a killer rig, also

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 9:43 AM
    StevieMac, aus_bass and Murch like this.
  5. In my humble opinion:

F Bass BN5.

FourStringFunk, gg22 and stretch80 like this.
  6. Bonecat

Bonecat Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    I’ve always jonesed for a Status Graphite S2, maple on mahogany…

Wibble666 and newwavefrank like this.
  7. RestlessBoom

RestlessBoom

Oct 1, 2021
    C8781BDA-6847-4743-9C87-2AB9361B58E8.jpeg 896E8FB9-9FCA-417B-827C-46C4153F0612.jpeg E81D8A26-ABA2-44D6-B64F-EFAEA4CFB7F7.jpeg

Bartrinsic likes this.
  8. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    To your question, if I had 4k to spend on a 5 string bass, I would order a US Lakland 5594.

kmd88 and Steve88 like this.
  9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    If I had 4K I wouldn’t spend it on a bass unless I was real rich and didn’t have to budget..

10. 1 moderate priced used bass, the remainder into mutual funds.

alack, Max, tr4252 and 1 other person like this.
  11. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I would order a G & L custom shop CLF 5 string and bank the rest
    Duke

Colarndo, Gizmot, Murch and 1 other person like this.
  12. Geoff Gould bass.

13. J-Bass RMR

J-Bass RMR Supporting Member

TrevorOfDoom likes this.
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If I had four K to spend on a bass I'd bank it or buy something else.

15. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    If I was going to spend $4k on a new bass, I would be having Brady Muckelroy build it.

pachoate, Mekana, naetog and 5 others like this.
  16. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Macedon, NY
    I'm a fan of the Lakland 5594. It's a very comfortable instrument with a tone that works well in alot of situations.

That said, some of the other recommendations look great too. Some I haven't heard of and will be investigating further...only for educational purposes of course :woot:

17. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    I say no to basses without an Off switch. I'm always able to run passive, but I'll sometimes use the onboard EQ on top of the outboard to get some quick effects like a deep scoop or high-end squash (active treble cut sounds different than a tone pot--I have both on my Nordstrand 3b preamp) or just to further refine the outboard EQ. As long as the pickups are passive, you'd be able to use the onboard preamp or not. I have at times been interested in full active systems, but I haven't been able to get around the fact that a good passive pickup into a good preamp sounds great--I can't myself get all the way to 'I want a pickup with a preamp in it', like an EMG.
    Lakland's 55-94 fits the bill. Just make sure it sounds good in passive mode:
    From Lakland's website: 'The USA Series 55-94. . .This incredibly versatile pickup array is matched with our LH3 preamp featuring 3 bands of boost cut EQ, a blend control to mix the 2 pickups, internal midrange frequency select, internal gain trim, and pull passive master volume.'

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  18. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    I'd buy a used Squier and put the rest into my house. Anything left over from that, I'd buy more socks.

Tom

Mebsuta, DJ Bebop, Max and 1 other person like this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm a firm believer that everyone who wants one should have a shot at either/both a high-end ax and/or a custom-built ax for those great personal experiences with the EB. i've been so lucky: i've had them, loved them, played them, and depended on them. after all of my experiences with the expensive stuff i've reached a point where i just don't need the 'status' part of that experience anymore. and i've come to realize that what makes a great ax for me has very little to do with money (i.e., that much money!).

so, i'd suggest this alternative: 'build' a custom instrument (tailor-made, just for you) from the best possible parts (you'd probably have a bolt-on neck). you could have your dream bass for ~1K or less, and you could use the balance of your funds for other things. instruments that you find 'off-the-rack' are meant for everyone --- a custom ax is meant for you!

all i got! good luck with your choices, whatever you do! :thumbsup:

:wideyed: i like passives these days so that i don't have to think about batteries, ever. i've never had that "morbid fear" thing...even when the batteries failed: it was just a nuisance. but then, i drink. so there's that. :D

red_rhino and Bunk McNulty like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021