if you had 4k to spend on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pipers dad, Oct 13, 2021 at 11:08 PM.

1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I wouldn’t.

Anything I’d really be willing to spend significant money on is priced either well below, or well above $4K. Four thousand is a no man’s land price point AFAIC.

2. If it were me, I'd spend 2k and keep 2k: The rainy day ALWAYS comes. Short of an Alembic or Ritter or something else very rare, I can't think of many over 2k I'd have to have.

Bartrinsic likes this.
  3. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For that kind of money, a down payment of a double bass, a Dingwall, or a Rob Allen. ;)

4. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't think there's anything I need a bass to do that a $2,000.00 bass couldn't do. If I was going to spend that kind of money I'd probably contact Bruce Johnson and get one of his scroll basses.

5. Bartrinsic

Bartrinsic Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2018
    San Diego
    There's a lot of room between suggestions to 'buy 10 basses that cost <$400' versus if you just doubled your budget you could buy a Canadian Z. I've often looked at a high-end bass, but then bought a used or knock-off version to play for a month or two. Then, if it really fits, I sell the cheaper one and buy the fancy one. I've started with 'excellent' or better used or new 'import' versions. This is a variation on 'try before you buy'--it also has encouraged me to try DIY mods on the cheaper ones. I'm trying to avoid buying expensive basses that I won't play and keep. I'm just looking at what I have and the more expensive basses were preceded by similar basses that cost less and most of those cheaper ones are now sold (my Maruszczyk is a happy exception, but I ordered exactly what I wanted and it panned out; hint to check the configurator). I only went further off the deep end once and was disappointed--that bass is sold too, but I should have tried an import version of that brand. If I ultimately wanted a new 55-94, I might first try a Skyline 55-02, new or used. On the other hand Skylines aren't cheap, so if I were sure I might go straight for the 55-94. The trouble is getting to 'sure'. I've played several types of basses for up to two months before deciding it wasn't going to be for me. I'm OK to box and sell at a market price (usually about 15-25% loss), and how else do I get a 2-month trial without being unfair to a seller? With an expensive bass, fit is as important as fancy.

gg22 likes this.
  6. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    $4k Active 5-string? Dingwall if you like fanned frets, Roscoe if you don't.

Gizmot likes this.
  7. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    A Tony Franklin and an American P Bass, swap the necks to get rid of the J pickup and sell the leftovers

8. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    you are at a top-end price point with $4k. it might not get you the best new fodera, but it'll certianly get you well into high grade boutique instruments - should you want it to.

honestly? i'd play a bunch and find something you like closer to the $2k range. the instrument i relied on the most when i was just full time gigging, i had bought used for $2k. in fact, all of the electric basses I currently own were right around that- all top grade, professional stuff (purchased used.)

Bartrinsic likes this.
  9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Id buy 400 Harley Bentons

Rob1957 and Jefenator like this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I think you mean 40. Math may not have been your strong suit, but it is one of mine.

When I look at what's available commercially, I don't think there's a bass at $4K or below that I'd prefer to one of my own builds. so, if you gave me $4k to buy a bass, I'd build one, and pay myself a decent wage for the finishing and assembly labor.

SpazzTheBassist and Jefenator like this.
  11. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I'd get a daphne blue Vintera Jazz bass and spend the rest on a Jules Monique.

12. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Amazing that nobody said Sire yet...

Look, as well meaning as everybody is the dude asked about $4K basses. So while all the financial advice may be meant with the best of intentions, it's not really what is being asked for.

OP - you've left out some major info... what kind of music are you into? What king of tone profile are you looking for? Is this a gigging instrument? Without knowing these details it's very hard for anyone to make a sensible recommendation. There are a number of fine instruments available in this price range, but even at this price point basses are still built to "do a job", so you ned to think about what that job might be moving forward before you spend the money. Lakland is a great choice, but it is one of a number of great choices available. FBass, Dingwall, Roscoe, and many others named are all quality instruments.

However, I would stay away from the bulk purchase of Harley Bentons... unless you have a number of friends that are into full contact cosplay and you all want to beat the $#!7 out of each other, then start a huge bonfire.

gg22 and Bartrinsic like this.
  13. Klangfarbe

Klangfarbe

Jan 12, 2020
    This one:

Would be slightly more than 4k. However if your willing to pay that much for an instrument anyway, a little more wouldn't bother you, right?

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    I don't think you can get a NYC Sadowsky, under the above criteria for 4K!

15. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    The only thing we know for certain is that dropping 4k on a bass does not cure GAS

CallMeAl likes this.
  16. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    :banghead: ....damn I totally screwed that one, didnt I?

All kidding aside, Harley Benton actually makes decent gear in a "they are today's SX" kinda way -- I would not be opposed to spending 500 of that 4K and trying two or three of their instruments that look interesting

17. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Perhaps not. Really nice Valenti then.

18. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    If i had 4k to spend on a bass, I wouldn't spend it on a bass.

19. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Keep it as this one is nearing being finished. IMG_7164.JPG

Murch likes this.
  20. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Supporting Member

May 4, 2002
    New Mexico
    $5,500 is the starting point now for Sadowsky NYC!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021