1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you had $5000 for a new sixer...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Let me be honest... I'm actually thinking of selling enough stuff to buy a Warwick Thumb SC 6. A little more than $5k usd, actually. Just wondering what anyone else would get for 5k plus or minus a few hundred.

I have a Thumb 6 BO and a Thumb 6 NT, so the idea of the Thumb SC isn't a total shot in the dark for me. However, there are so few around, that I don't think I'd ever have a chance to try one out before ordering.

What say you?

2. If you find an independent luthier, you can often spend less than 4k, depending on builder and options of course.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Ritter

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Don't buy Warwick's new.

5. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    MTD, also second on the "don't buy wicks new"; horrible resale.

6. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Dingwall Prima Artist 6
    or
    Warrior Dran Michael
    or
    Elrick Paltinum e-Volution 6

Warwick.....not even close.

7. Zon Sonus 6 or Legacy 6

8. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't think I can swing a Ritter for that money.

I'm aware of the resale issues with Warwick - I didn't buy the ones I have new. But I haven't found anything like the characteristic Warwick growl anywhere else. But then, there are a lot of basses I haven't tried.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A Roscoe with all the trimmings.

10. Try more basses.

11. Jeesus777

Jeesus777

Mar 10, 2011
    A custom Enfield... oh so GASsing for one ;)

12. Exactly.

With $5000 you can get a bass absolutely DECKED OUT by any number of luthiers. Brubaker, Tom Clement and Roscoe come to mind first for me. You want growl? Any of these guys can do it no sweat. Heck, I played a $1000 Ibanez that growled like a monster the other day. If you have the chance, find a local bass specialty shop and get your hands on everything you can. $5000 for what is, essentially a stock bass just sounds too crazy.

13. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Yep.

I personally love a good Warwick, but for $5,000 you can get a killer bass that's customized to your specs. Honestly, I wouldn't doubt it if a luthier could build you a clone of the bass you want for around $2,500 and have it much more custom fitted for your needs.

14. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I'd only buy new if I wanted something very customized. Other than that, I'd look for a good used deal. You can save yourself a ton of coin. In the used marked you can pretty much have your heart's desire, save a Fodera and perhaps a few other brands.

I wouldn't drop 5k on a warwick, new used or otherwise. But then again they aren't my thing.

15. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Good advice, but I've got to find them first. I do need to take a Trip to Bass San Diego.

But here's another perspective: if the Thumb SC has exactly the features and sound I want, what then?

16. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Then buy it, but see if you can find one used first ;)

17. ben12390

ben12390

Jul 5, 2010
    ibanez BTB776. New pups and premap.....

and use the rest of the cash for another one.

and another one.

and like one more.

18. I haven't been able to play any my custom basses before I ordered them. Once you have an understanding of why basses have a certain sound, it's not that hard to get what you want.

19. How about a Ken Smith???

20. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    MTD 635 best bass I've ever played :)