1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

If you had $900 and the choice between . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patton63, Sep 5, 2008.

1. A used Mesa/Boogie Walkabout and a _____________, what would you chose?

I've played the Mesa and really like the tone, but am torn between getting a combo and a separate head/cab. (I'm stepping up from my initial practice amp and this will be my first major amp purchase) I play principally rock/blues.

What would you get for that kind of money?

2. I would suggest looking into Ampegs line of combo amps. They offer great tone, D.I. out, and mid-range selector.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
  4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I think you're on the right track with the Mesa, and I'm not biased or anything...

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's nothing quite like the Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. And that head can be removed to drive almost any decent cabinet, or you can run the Walkabout lower than 4 ohms and use an extension cabinet. I've done it and many others have too.

The Scout combo is the most impressive combo I've played through.

You say you have $900--do you plan to buy used?

6. QUOTE:

There's nothing quite like the Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. And that head can be removed to drive almost any decent cabinet, or you can run the Walkabout lower than 4 ohms and use an extension cabinet. I've done it and many others have too.

The Scout combo is the most impressive combo I've played through.

You say you have $900--do you plan to buy used?

Yes, if I went with the Mesa, it would be used. Finding my basses was easy. I'm having a really hard time settling on an amp though.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Walkabout head is great, you can use virtually any 4 ohm cab you want with it, but getting it in the Scout combo form would be ideal for now.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    are you asking me to choose between two amp "heads"??

I'd say walkabout is cool, but also consider Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 for about $600, from what I hear people say...its the cats meow! and twice the power.

9. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    Get a 15" cab and head, or get a 15" combo amp. Try out the Carvin B600 head and BR15 cab (or the BR615 combo amp). Or try the Eden Nemesis RS115 combo amp. I own the Nemesis and absolutely love the tone. It's great for rock and blues.:bassist:

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You can get a used Scout combo for $900. I can't imagine you needing any more power than that in a single 12" combo. There may be others with more powerful amplifiers, but they won't play any louder without breaking up. A single speaker will only handle so much. If you need more volume than you can get from a small combo, then the best way to get it is by adding and extension cabinet or using the head to drive a multiple speaker setup. For this, I'd still go with a Mesa head just because of the sound. And that 300 watts into 4 ohms the Mesa puts out goes a long way. I used the Walkabout head to drive a high end custom 8 ohm 3 way cabinet to earsplitting levels on a medium sized club gig and it was still clean, even though the Walkabout is rated at 180 watts into 8 0hms.

But if you want a more hi-fi type sound you might want to look elsewhere.